Use of Kerosene?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JP5 is almost pure kerosene. Only something like .04% is Naphalene.

JP5 Data Sheet

Otherwise, kerosene is what is called diesel #1 while regular diesel for vehicles is diesel #2. In the winter time, they mix in some kerosene with #2 diesel so that it will be less likely to gel during cold temperatures. Nothing sucks like a fuel filter that is gelled up.

On second thought, maybe gelled up filters don't suck and that's the problem.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember quite a few years back a conversation that involved a Marine who was active during Vietnam talking about cleaning their vehicles with diesel fuel. . . Was probably kerosene as well but he said they used it to clean almost everything except the dishes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The original M-16 was issued without cleaning kits, as they were not needed according to the manufacturer.

We quickly found out that after 800-1000 rounds it sucked to have to clean the BCG in the middle of a fire fight in total darkness. Quick wipe on the shirt that almost went on fire from the heat, and shoot another 500 or so. A1 models had cleaning kits with lube, etc. I still have a small bottle of the lube, and a steel chamber cleaning rod.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember quite a few years back a conversation that involved a Marine who was active during Vietnam talking about cleaning their vehicles with diesel fuel. . . Was probably kerosene as well but he said they used it to clean almost everything except the dishes.

Kerosene was used in the past by limo drivers to do a "quick shine" on their vehicles.

If you have some at home, put a little on a spot, and you will see it evaporate after a few minutes, leaving a residue like wax. Wipe that off, and it will really shine. It collects dust quickly though. Thats why it was a quick shine.

DrivesGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but when I was in the Army, I wasn't exposed to any situation such as this. However, I read somewhere that in some units in Vietnam, there was a "tub" of kerosene where the GI's gathered to clean their firearms. So, I want to get a feel as to whether kerosene is really a good substance to use instead of the commercially available products.

What say all of you that may have been exposed to the use of both kerosene and "other" commercially available products? Are there reasons for the use or non-use of kerosene?

They may have been using JP5. JP5 is a highly refined kerosene jet fuel. I have a close personal friend who was a Gunner on Cobra's in Vietnam. JP5 was readily available and used often to clean many things. It would not surprise me if JP5 was used to clean their weapons.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, Guys.

My overseas experience was an inside job in Pakistan. The only rifle we had was a WWII M1 carbine that was kept in the operations building for "defense" purposes. Our job was boring enough that a number of the guys were always cleaning that carbine, just to kill the boredom. Other than basic training, folks in the Army Security Agency seldom ever were issued rifles or handguns. Unless they were to be assigned to Vietnam, it just didn't happen. (Oh, and the "security" in Army Security Agency" had nothing to do with "guarding.")

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about today. but in the past all those "saf-t-kleen" parts washers you saw in gunshops, auto and motorcycle repair shops and just about any other repair shop that needed to degrease parts used low-odor kerosene in them.
Nowadays due to environmental issues they may use some sort of water base cleaner.