Use of Kerosene?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kerosene works well. The neatest trick I learned in the service to clean a nasty weapon prior to inspection was to disassemble it, pack it full of GoJo or Goop (the non-pumice kind - very important!), and let the parts sit overnight. After sitting, scrub everything with a brush and rinse in hot water - as hot as you can stand. Let the parts air dry from the warmed metal and then lube and re-assemble. I still clean my rimfires this way when they get really crapped out.

I suspect those hand cleaners are really just jellied-up kerosene.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kerosene works well. The neatest trick I learned in the service to clean a nasty weapon prior to inspection was to disassemble it, pack it full of GoJo or Goop (the non-pumice kind - very important!), and let the parts sit overnight. After sitting, scrub everything with a brush and rinse in hot water - as hot as you can stand. Let the parts air dry from the warmed metal and then lube and re-assemble. I still clean my rimfires this way when they get really crapped out.

I suspect those hand cleaners are really just jellied-up kerosene.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i've heard of people using kerosine in their parts cleaners - as has been said, it's a great surfactant.

I use mineral spirits in my parts cleaner. Not that 'green' crap you get from wal-mart, the real thing from Lowes. Works great and tends to not leave residue after it gets dirty. Since my parts washer is about a cheap as they come, the mineral spirits get pretty dark pretty quick. Using Kerosine left an oily film on everything I cleaned with it, so I switched. bingo, no more oily film. I supposed using a 55 gallon drum of it would make it last longer.

Most likely the stuff used in Vietnam was JP5. now it could be JP5 or (if in theatre) JP-8 would be more likely.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drank some kerosene once when I was a stupid little kid. Still living. Maybe it cleaned out my innards.

(I was hiking in the woods near our house and I went home to refill my canteen. At the same time my dad and some neighbors were burning a field by our house and there was a tub of kerosene in our back yard, me thinking it was water I filled up my canteen and went back to the woods. I remember my throat burning and feeling sick after drinking some of what was in the canteen so I went back home and when I walked into the kitchen my mom chased me out saying I stunk like kerosene, then she grabbed me, smelled me, and yelled for my dad. He came, smelled me, asked me if I drink what was out in the tub and I said ya, they called the Dr, my mom gave me a big glass of milk to drink on the way to the ER. Got my stomach pumped and went home. Dumb kids. I think they color it these days because of that dont they? It was clear as water back then.)

My Mom did the same thing. Drank it from a clear jar under the sink when she was little.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up hearing all kinds of stories about kerosene and it's multitude of uses both external and internal, although I can't imagine anyone drinking it on purpose. I knew a woman who's school age children ended up with lice. I'm not sure where she got the idea but she washed their hair in kerosene....needless to say the kids ended up in the hospital and DHS almost took the kids away but they decided it was a stupid mistake and dropped the case with a little talk on the dangers of bathing children with kerosene.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, when as a child I had the croop several times. My mother gave to me as a cure a tablespoon of sugar soaked in kerosene. I did not want to take it, I was 3 or 4 years old, but I did so. Next time I got the croop I gladly took it. It really worked and overnight. Old home remedies do work at least in my experience.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Granny also believed in a cure something along those lines. I've kind of forgotten the recipe, perhaps because it destroyed brain cells, but it worked. She had amazing stuff for hornet stings, scorpions and such. She made some kind of salve that would bring a boil to a head like nobody's business. Do people still get boils?