Weird Sleep Stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK guys. I generally make it a practice to not post stuff related to religion, politics or my own personal health. But for the last week I’ve experienced something that is pretty wild and pretty damn scary. There is a sleep phenomenon known as sleep paralysis where you wake up and can’t move for a few minutes. This generally resolves itself in a few minutes. I have experienced something similar three times in the last week. The only difference is that it has taken me up to twelve hours to get full body function back. I wake up and can’t move anything except my head for about 2 hours. Then I slowly am able to move my arms and legs but they’re all wobbly for several more hours. Has taken about 12 hours before I can slowly get up and around. I’m 76 years old with a really bad back and severe rhuematoid arthritis. I take a fair amount of pain medicine. I also have some pretty low kidney function so the cause of the problem is most likely related to the bad kidneys and the pain meds. My reason for relating my health problems here is to ask if anyone has experienced anything like this. From what I’ve read, it is fairly common the experience short periods of sleep paralysis, but it generally resolves itself in a pretty short period of time. Not 10-12 hours. I might add that it affects my speech too. Can’t talk well enough to get a point across. I can sympathize with any stroke victim.

Ok, this sounds an awful lot like Scott the month or so before he wound up in the ICU -- but without all the other health issues and 15 years younger. He is "just" diabetic.

His PCP thought he sounded like a stroke victim, also, because of the speech issues. Definitely see your neuro.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some years back, I had an episode where I had no idea how to move my legs. The main problem when this occurred was that I was coming to the top of an escalator in a department store. I stumbled, but then everything started to work OK. It's only happened that one time --- certainly glad about that!

Good luck in determining the cause and then the solution to your issue.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys. I generally make it a practice to not post stuff related to religion, politics or my own personal health. But for the last week I’ve experienced something that is pretty wild and pretty damn scary. There is a sleep phenomenon known as sleep paralysis where you wake up and can’t move for a few minutes. This generally resolves itself in a few minutes. I have experienced something similar three times in the last week. The only difference is that it has taken me up to twelve hours to get full body function back. I wake up and can’t move anything except my head for about 2 hours. Then I slowly am able to move my arms and legs but they’re all wobbly for several more hours. Has taken about 12 hours before I can slowly get up and around. I’m 76 years old with a really bad back and severe rhuematoid arthritis. I take a fair amount of pain medicine. I also have some pretty low kidney function so the cause of the problem is most likely related to the bad kidneys and the pain meds. My reason for relating my health problems here is to ask if anyone has experienced anything like this. From what I’ve read, it is fairly common the experience short periods of sleep paralysis, but it generally resolves itself in a pretty short period of time. Not 10-12 hours. I might add that it affects my speech too. Can’t talk well enough to get a point across. I can sympathize with any stroke victim.

sent you a pm. We have dealt with nightmares, sleep paralysis, among a lot of other things that people deal with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom