Well, I began my reloading startup today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally decided that I am going to get into reloading. I've been reading and learning along the way, and I thought I'd go look at kits and see what I came up with. I think I already missed something though.

I didn't want to go full cheap, so I bought an RCBS Partner Press reloading kit, figuring on starting off single stage and decent quality.

Apparently I missed the part about it not having a set of shell holders though. :homer: Kind of a cruddy beginning to the setup, but oh well. I'm still not set on it though anyway. I mainly bought it because it had the Speer manual as well, and I could add that to the Lyman 49th I had already picked up. I'm seriously thinking about taking it back and starting over with the Lee.

The biggest issue I had with these to start is I really like the idea of Hornady's LNL, but wanted to start out cheaper. I plan on taking my time getting up and running anyway, but I enjoy better machined products. The RCBS still had machining and drill chips in the ram.

One noob question to ask here, which is also another reason I like the LNL. Can you lock your dies at the height required for the step, and remove them without having to reset them each time? If that is the case I would seriously downgrade totally to a Lee just to learn on and save the money.

If not, at this stage of having the RCBS box in hand and seeing what I get, I'm really considering backing up and chunking the extra for the LNL kit. Either way I have to get a shell plate.

Any additional thoughts some of you experienced guys want to toss in for a noob? I have no problems taking criticism either. I completely threw away my ideas of starting off with a Dillon-550, and decided to go with the basics, it's just how basic now. . .I'm not planning on reloading a buttload, but I don't want to totally hand load either.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apparently I missed the part about it not having a set of shell holders though. .

I think what you are talking about you can just buy the Lee set and have all of them.

I plan on taking my time getting up and running anyway,

I always suggest people do this.
Plus all the stuff you get you'll probably use again even if you move into a progressive.

downgrade totally to a Lee just to learn on and save the money.

I don't see Lee as a downgrade.
Yes you can get a dud occassionally, in any brand.
And a couple of thier products are dud's.
But some of the best stuff out there is Lee.
I use whatever brand I can find when I need it.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what you are talking about you can just buy the Lee set and have all of them.

Yeah I certainly didn't realize that when I was looking at the dies too, that would have been ridiculously more helpful to know.

I don't see Lee as a downgrade.
Yes you can get a dud occassionally, in any brand.
And a couple of thier products are dud's.
But some of the best stuff out there is Lee.
I use whatever brand I can find when I need it.

I think really I just read the wrong comments to base my thoughts on Lee. I've since found, this afternoon, that there are a lot of good comments about them. I'm definitely planning on taking the RCBS back and get the Lee, and probably just a set of Lee dies as well to kick start me. I'll wait to pass judgement until after I actually reload a few rounds. I feel like an azz for doing so before I have.

Thanks for the thoughts and help OF!

ETA: I also didn't realize that Lee's Breech Lock system is almost the same as Hornady's LNL, and makes caliber changeovers just as easy. Thanks for taking some of my product bias away and letting me see it clearer OF!

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool, good luck with the Lee. I have a Hornady LNL AP and I still find myself going back to the Lee breech lock press quite a bit. The bushings are great for keeping your dies locked to your set depth. Made plenty of thousands of rounds on it and it still feels like it did when it was new. Just keep it lubricated.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool, good luck with the Lee. I have a Hornady LNL AP and I still find myself going back to the Lee breech lock press quite a bit. The bushings are great for keeping your dies locked to your set depth. Made plenty of thousands of rounds on it and it still feels like it did when it was new. Just keep it lubricated.

Thanks for the good words FG, especially since you have both!

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will always need a singe stag press IMHO, I load all my hunting & bechrest rifle ammo on an old rcbs rockchucker & a lee press on lee, rcbs or hornady dies. The pistol plinking & rifle high volume shooting where i DO N'T NEED MOA or less accuracy I use the dillion. I have called them 3 times in the last 6 weeks to get replacement parts that wore ou or broke, 1st time I have had to use their no bs warenty. I am the 2nd owner & the 550 is about 25-30 years old. on every part they said they had upgraded it. I do not know howmany rounds have been loaded on that thing but it is in the 10's of thousands

Keep the single & upgrade later to a progressive when you get the hang of it

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the single & upgrade later to a progressive when you get the hang of it

That's kind of what I'm planning at this point.

Personally I'd go with a Redding turret press, but that's just me. Also, I personally wouldn't ditch anything RCBS for anything Lee.

Have you considered one of these? It uses the LNL bushings, so you can keep your dies preset.

Check this out:
http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Classic-Loader/

Yeah, the Hornady is what I'd ideally buy, but for what I'm going to do currently, the breech lock of the Lee will suffice for 1/3 of the price of the kit.

Hi,

JRSherman, what calibers do you load and how many per month? That can really dictate what the best press would be...

Thanks,

Alan

I'm going to start with .308 and pick up a pistol caliber later, and not much at all right now :D. I'm not in the best financial position to shoot a lot right now, or so my wife would say, but I have a little money standing by that I want to use to learn with. Another reason I'm going to go back for the Lee, most starter equipment for the buck and it allows me to pick up a few more small accessories and a different manual to go along with the Lyman I have.

I actually want to turn this into an incentive to shoot more, which I need to do anyway, and a finance control method. My wife's been forcing me to quit a lot of my impulse spending, and even today I did. I seriously started out planning on a Dillon 550 setup minimum, and I have knocked down that wall. Now that I have a press in hand(without everything I needed:rolleyes2) I'd much rather I start off at near rock bottom equipment and work my way from there.

That means that even though I may only load <200 rounds in the next few months, I am not getting a handheld loader hehe.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi JRSherman,

Not sure when/where you bought your RCBS Partner Kit, but RCBS had a rebate going on them you may or may not know about:

http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/rebates~rcbs_save10

So are you going to take the RCBS back and start with Lee?

Given than you want to start with 308, single stage should be fine and the least costly option as well. I have the Lee Classic Cast single stage, and it has done everything I've asked of it.

Good luck,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom