What can you tell me about this 1911 pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BA-Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked this Springfied Armory Gulf Victory Series commemorative up in 1991 after returning from Desert Storm.

I know they made very few of them - but I can't find any information online about them??

I'm trying to find out exactly how many were manufactured, any details on the custom work that went into them, etc.

If all else fails - I will just contact Springfield directly, but was curious if anyone out there owns one or knows more about them.

It's a beautiful pistol - my cell phone pics don't do it justice.

Thanks in advance!

ai1203.photobucket.com_albums_bb396_BAShooter_Toys_6011a841.jpg

ai1203.photobucket.com_albums_bb396_BAShooter_Toys_534f0096.jpg

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
looks just like some engraving type stuff on a basic mil spec that has a gloss blue finish and some gold plating.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its actually built on a National Match frame and yes there is a lot of gold plated components and gold etchings of scenes from Desert Storm.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it was built on a National Match frame? I know a lot of folks assume that the NM in the serial number automatically means National Match, but I thought that wasn't always true.

BA-Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how do you know it was built on a National Match frame? I know a lot of folks assume that the NM in the serial number automatically means National Match, but I thought that wasn't always true.

Truly an assumption (NM - National Match). So after your note, I Googled it and found a string on the 1911 forum that indicates that "NM" in the serial number generally means that it was made in the USA versus the "N" or "WW" which were made in Brazil. However, they also said that SA had a National Match frame in the 80's that was stamped the same way. I will have to contact Springfield directly to give them my serial number and confirm what this one was built on.

BA-Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I also just noticed that the bottom of the magazine is also marked "SA 45 NM" and its also finished in that same nice dark bluing as the pistol.

BA-Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have several Springfields... so I grabbed my hardball gun (pic below) I used to shoot at Camp Perry. Its also marked NM on the serial number. This particular one was smithed by one of the armorers are the USAMU when I shot with them in 1993 and its got a match barrel in it that also is marked "45 Auto NM" and a serial number. (see pics below)

I looked at couple others I have that I bought a few years later and they both start with an "N" and on the dust cover they are stamped "FI Brazil".

ai1203.photobucket.com_albums_bb396_BAShooter_Toys_05f1e48c.jpg

ai1203.photobucket.com_albums_bb396_BAShooter_Toys_532f6719.jpg

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NM does NOT stand for national match. NM generally means it was finished in a US plant. That's a good looking hardball gun.

BA-Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NM does NOT stand for national match. NM generally means it was finished in a US plant. That's a good looking hardball gun.

Thanks! It shoots great. As for the NM on the Springfield gun I agree with you - that's what I have found everywhere I searched.

I just googled for the markings on the hardball gun barrel in the pic above and it turns out that is an old 1963 - 1968 Colt National Match barrel from one of the Camp Perry match guns of those years. (NM7791414 was the part number) A cool bit of history behind it. Also cool that I shot it twice at Camp Perry in 93 & 94.

Latest posts

Top Bottom