What controlled hunts did everyone put in for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elk and deer @ Sandy Sanders, Wichita Mts, Four Canyons, and Canton; tried to keep them close to home this year, usually put in for James Collins since I coyote hunted it when I lived down there but not this time. Only been appying for 3-4 years and haven't drawn anything yet; maybe this will be they year! Also, if you draw an antelope tag, do you then have to go find some private land to hunt?
Generally that is the best option. If you expend a little effort it is not hard to find a place for free or very cheap.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generally that is the best option. If you expend a little effort it is not hard to find a place for free or very cheap.

Not my experience. I tried to find a place to hunt in 2009 with an either sex tag, all the landowners I talked with wanted 500 bucks to take a buck.(I'd also talked with ODWC biologist and game warden) They'd allow a doe for 100. I ended up hunting on Rita Blanca (public hunting). That is a tough hunt, almost zero cover, but plenty of antelope. I finally took a really nice buck the afternoon of the second day, but it was after several failed attempts to get with a half mile of a goat. I'd do it again tomorrow if I could!

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you draw an antelope tag, do you then have to go find some private land to hunt?

If you draw Texas County then there is no public land there, the public land is all in Cimmaron County. I got my goat from Rita Blanca last year. There are pretty much 2 types of people, the ones that find a spot and set up for a couple days or the ones that drive around looking and then put the stalk on. Both types are successful from what I saw. I drove around, but it is a lot of driving and a lot of glassing and the land is all busted up and not connected so that makes it difficult too. Others have reported talking land owners into free access, people up there were pretty friendly. When the results come out everyone will be on here swapping info, just do a search on here for last years results and you will see.

Oh, and bring a lot of bullets! Watched one guy shoot so much he had to go back to the truck to get more bullets. Judging distance is a mother there!!!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not my experience. I tried to find a place to hunt in 2009 with an either sex tag, all the landowners I talked with wanted 500 bucks to take a buck.(I'd also talked with ODWC biologist and game warden) They'd allow a doe for 100. I ended up hunting on Rita Blanca (public hunting). That is a tough hunt, almost zero cover, but plenty of antelope. I finally took a really nice buck the afternoon of the second day, but it was after several failed attempts to get with a half mile of a goat. I'd do it again tomorrow if I could!

I was out there the first year archery was available. I had permission on over 40 quarter sections of land. General consensus from all the landowners were to kill all I could. The first contact I spoke with had 26 quarters and secured permission on so many others I had a stack of permission slips.

Maybe those you spoke with didn't like Ted Kennedy. Just kidding. It could have been the difference in archery and gun hunters.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't!
When I got drawn, first thing I did was contact the warden and biologist. I made some calls, but driving to see landowners from Tulsa to Boise City is kinda impractical. The ones I spoke with all wanted 500 bucks. They did all express the desire to kill a bunch of antelope, as they destroy fences. (I guess)

Does weren't as valued, and I think a lot of landowners pictured some Tulsa guy with money falling out his %%, wanting to kill a big buck. What they got was a working-class hillbilly that woulsn't pay 500 bucks for anything I can't drive, ride or shoot. It worked out OK.

I've been wanting to score a couple landowner doe tags out there, I know some landowners will sell them for 100 bucks a piece. I'd make the drive to shoot a couple does....

Latest posts

Top Bottom