What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Started prairie dog hunting with a friend some years ago.
I'm not the greatest but we ran out of reach with the AR platform.
1 day he handed me a 6mm Remington 700 pawn shop find.
Spent some money on a bull barrel.
I cut the chamber and threaded the receiver and muzzle end.
Magpul hunter stock.
YHM Phantom boat anchor suppressor.
Then it was the rabbit hole of bullet powder combination.
Best groups I could get were 1 inch.
So many variables.
H4350, 70gr Blitzking and 87gr Vmax.
Went hunting.
Reasonable but always want to do better.
It has been two years maybe three.
Today I went to Lex.
RL19 and good ole Win 748. 70 Blitz King and 70 Speer.
5 rounds each at 1/2 grain increments. 42.5 to 44.5
No pressure signs at all. 3600 and 3700 fps.
Looks promising.
Time to trim some brass.
Going to load some with 45 grains each.
Hope to behave myself and get some better groups.
Barrel mirage was interesting today.
Enjoy.
20240910_000757.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got the TPS wads in to try loading tungsten in a 410 and was able to do a little testing. I’m still not sure the stuff will be the stone cold turkey killer out 70 yards like so many fanboys say, but I can testify to its effectiveness at 40.
The data called for 3” Cheddite hulls, so I had to shoot a few to have some to work with. I also tried the same recipe in a 3” Remington hull, and from initial testing, it appears the Remington hulls patterned better. :anyone:
As I’ve said before, I’ve loaded for 12 and 20 for 30 years and can pretty much do it in my sleep, but 410 loading has been much more of a challenge (at least for me).
I’m sure I’d be better off to just go buy tungsten ammo, but it’s sure fun loading and testing my own.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite.

What is hbn+ws2?
Ws2 is tungsten disulfide
Hbn is hexagonal boron nitride
Alternative to moly disullfide
Slippery boolit powder.
Fancy stuff but i still shoot crappy groups.
Interesting reading,

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ws2 is tungsten disulfide
Hbn is hexagonal boron nitride
Alternative to moly disullfide
Slippery boolit powder.
Fancy stuff but i still shoot crappy groups.
Interesting reading,
I see. Magic powder.

Moly was a fad back in the late 80s - early 90s. I even bought some Black Talon cartridges. They were supposed to be so slippery that bullet proof Kevlar vests wouldn't stop them; the moly coating would allow the bullet to just slip through the weave of the Kevlar. There was a great deal of talk about outlawing the moly coated bullets because of that claim.

It was supposed to be the slipperiest thing ever: coat the bore, make everything just peachy. All that and shoot sub-billionth inch groups.

It didn't last, mostly because it didn't do any of what was claimed, but did make a big mess.

I know a guy right now that is learning about moly coated bullets what the rest of us learned 30-40 years ago. There ain't no magic potion to make us shoot better.

Practice Practice practice.

All that said, if you want to try it then I'm certainly not the person to tell you no. Where would we be without experimentation?

Good luck with your experiments, and thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess any room you’re reloading in is your reloading room. Moved into living room today to watch games while priming some 9mm. Got a new primer tool cuz my RCBS wore out on me. I got my moneys worth out of it. This Frankford arsenal got some good reviews from on Amazon. It feels like it’s built like a tank
IMG_2261.jpeg

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Casted some 480 grain bullets for my Buff Classic 45-70 the other day, finally got some LRP today. Loaded 5 with the Win LRP and 5 with CCI LPP just to see if primers make a difference. Just enough 777FFg to give me 1/16 inch compression when seating the bullet. Also have 5 loaded with Fed LPP magnum from the other day. Also mounted an old Weaver 4X on it and laser sighted it. Now to just get to the range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom