What do you think about the newer XD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A long time ago I had an xd 40 that probably had 2k through it by me and I bought it used. I put at least 1K through both my XDs' a 9mm and .45 and never had an issue with either.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really you should let them shoot several different guns over several trips to the range before making any decision. Picking a gun because it’s comfortable in your hand isn’t really a good metric for choosing a particular model. It’s also moot if they don’t go out a practice consistently.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Really you should let them shoot several different guns over several trips to the range before making any decision. Picking a gun because it’s comfortable in your hand isn’t really a good metric for choosing a particular model. It’s also moot if they don’t go out a practice consistently.
Yep!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not my first rodeo. I'm aware.

But you also know if you don't like the way something feels, you're not going to practice with it.

I know when I pick up a gun and it just "clicks" and is right. This is also one reason I left the XD Mod.2 for him to try until he he had fondled a number of other guns - and we're talking on the order of a dozen. I had a feeling he would like it, and I was right.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not my first rodeo. I'm aware.

But you also know if you don't like the way something feels, you're not going to practice with it.

I know when I pick up a gun and it just "clicks" and is right. This is also one reason I left the XD Mod.2 for him to try until he he had fondled a number of other guns - and we're talking on the order of a dozen. I had a feeling he would like it, and I was right.
The XD just fits my hand almost like a 1911. I can shut my eyes, draw from a holster or table, bring it up and my sights are dead on when I open my eyes. I like the loaded chamber indicator and the cocked indicator. I like all the controls and the wider grip for a double stacked magazine in 40 and 45 just fits my big hands. I do miss the manual safety and had to get used to that because I kept trying to flip it off due to muscle memory I guess but that didn't last long.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had several Springfield's in the past, with a 2013ish XD45, a 3.3” XDS in 9MM, my current XDM 4.5” in 10mm, and the Hellcat I bought for the old lady to carry.

I probably put 500-600 rounds through the 45. Didn’t like the trigger, was tired of paying for .45, sold it never had an issue with it.

Put somewhere between 2-3k rounds through the XDS, had a half dozen failure to feed issues, only because the XDS doesn’t like the polymer tip hornady Critical defense ammo, and it would hang up on the feed ramp. Fired everything else just fine. Both the XDS and the 45 even ate steel case. Sold the XDS to pick up a hellcat.
My XDM 10mm is relatively new, only put about 300 rounds through it so far. I carry it as my sidearm while in Colorado, and when hunting hogs. It’s been rained on, submerged in water, submerged in mud, covered in sand, the whole nine yards. Hasn’t missed a beat, eats anything I feed it, from super hot 69grain hollowpoints to buffalo bore dangerous game loads. The XDM is definitely superior to the regular XD in my opinion.
The hellcat is by and far one of my favorite handguns Springfield has made so far. It’s easy to shoot, good trigger, great capacity, and the fit and finish is great. Haven’t shot it much, maybe 3-400 rounds, have had no issues whatsoever. The old lady liked it so much that it’s now hers, so yeah.

I would trust a properly maintained XD/Springfield with my life, and do regularly. Also, just a suggestion if they’re trying out different stuff, I absolutely love my HK VP9. I know it’s a poverty HK, but I’ve yet to have a more comfortable handgun. Mag capacity is great too, and they sell HK 20 rounders, and the SK version is the same ergonomics and same mags if they’re looking for compatible handguns. The paddle mag release option makes it easy for my stubby fingers to manipulate too, a recurring issue with full-size handguns.

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an XD .40 that has probably 3K rounds through it. I have had zero issues with it at all. It was my first Semiauto pistol i purchased. While purchasing it I had a G19 in and the XD40 next to each other on the counter. I picked up and put down each pistol a dozen or more times before I purchased the XD. Mostly the grip angle felt better and I get a fair amount of rub on my left side of my middle finger on the g19 the way I grip it. I now have myself a G19 that I shoot far more than the XD. That is purely caliber driven. I'd sell the XD but i have probably 2K rounds for it. Maybe that makes it more valuable to sell right now?.?.? And put it towards another pistol???

Latest posts

Top Bottom