What do you to plan to do if . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i thought it was under the assumption that you knew the house was broken into or the BG didn't see you.... and not trying to play games but if you walked in and he didn't see you could you not draw your gun and walk backwards out. I am just not much of a shoot 1st and ask questions later. I am just saying it would be very difficult to explain to a jury (and a normal jury, not a jury of OSA's) why you shot an unarmed man.

Not playing games either but where did I say I would shoot anyone?
I was saying if we saw each other I am not taking my eye off him.
I was looking at it like when I saw the BG I was surprised as he was.

aodh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
just my opinion, but repete is right most will just run, the questions are
\
3. How are you going to explain that you didn't just turn around and walk out and call 911

My assumption was that I didn't know the baddies were in the house ( My front door is not visible from the direction I most often come home from, and the back door is not visible from the street). Frankly, I hadn't thought about the possibility once in a confrontation, but don't like the idea as I don't think I could navigate backwards out through the zigzags that you have to go through to get into the main part of the house.

I've always assumed that if the house was obviously "broken into" when I drove up, I'd call 911 and stay out front 'til the police got there.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not playing games either but where did I say I would shoot anyone?
I was saying if we saw each other I am not taking my eye off him.
I was looking at it like when I saw the BG I was surprised as he was.

i didn't mean that comment towards you, i meant we are talking shoot or don't shoot BG without any other warning.. so it was at that arguement if that makes sense

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, No, you guys have it all wrong. Send your mother in law in first and let her check it out. She will have the baddies crying for mercy.

My wife has these "feelings" that something is going to happen. We got a safe on one of them and an alarm system on another and I'll be darn if some one didn't try breaking in our house both times.

Can't say what I would do for sure but I hope I am level headed enough to see for sure they have a weapon in their hands before I have to take that next step.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, No, you guys have it all wrong. Send your mother in law in first and let her check it out. She will have the baddies crying for mercy.

My wife has these "feelings" that something is going to happen. We got a safe on one of them and an alarm system on another and I'll be darn if some one didn't try breaking in our house both times.

Can't say what I would do for sure but I hope I am level headed enough to see for sure they have a weapon in their hands before I have to take that next step.

Have you asked her what the Lotto numbers are???

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coming from someone who has been home twice when someone has broke into his house the plan goes out the window pretty fast. The first time we had a break in I was 12 years old and home alone I had some family that live about 400 yards away. I was sick watching TV and I heard some stuff fall outside 3 men were trying to get in the backdoor I ran and got my dad's 30-30 and when I was coming back up the hallway they were already in the kitchen. We saw each other at the same time. In the panic when I levered a round in the gun went off by the time the dust from the shot was clear they were gone. Needless to say we had a big hole in the ceiling and the roof. The second time my house was broke into I was 23 years old and I was in the army I had been unloading my gear from my car and I left the door unlocked because I was going to go to the store later. It was dark and late my wife was in the bedroom watching TV almost all of the lights were off in the apartment and I heard my door open then close I thought it was the neighbor just bumping into my door then I hear it again. So I go to check it out I look down the stairs and see a man with something in his hand looked like a screwdriver. My wife and I had a plan for something like this and that plan was to get the gun and hide and wait in my baby daughters bedroom and wait to see how things play out. Well that play went to hell when I saw the guy in my home I was overtaken with anger and fear that someone was in my home so I quietly and quickly get my gun and return to the top of the stairs. I should have grabbed my shotgun because I was a real bad pistol shot at the time so I make it back to the stairs and the intruder is about 5 steps up the stairs it is still dark inside with just a little light coming in through the window and I make a big rookie mistake I turn the lights on in the stairwell. All I really remember was that I was blind from turning the light on and I saw movement and I started pulling the trigger he ran and I chased him out of the apartment. I should have went with the plan my wife and I had because when I was confronting the intruder she was on the phone with 911 and the cops were there within 3 minutes but once again when I saw someone in my home the plan went out the window. I didn't remember how many shots I fired until the cops told me it was 5 and they think I only grazed him because there was very little blood and all of my shots were high and left. The cop told me to look on the bright side that a graze from a .45 might be enough to make the intruder rethink his career path of crime and that really didn't make me feel better. So in the future I will try and stick to whatever plan I have in place at the time but I really think it will not matter because when the SHTF everything just happens so fast and you don't have the time to sit there and decide how it is going to play out this is just my opinion from my personal experiences.

Latest posts

Top Bottom