What Medicines to stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably already been mentioned, but the thing that hangs me up about stocking any kinds of meds is the expiration date.

Stocking food is no problem, stock what you eat and it will always be rotated. Meds are not the same. Now that our kids are out of daycare, we are an insanely healthy family...the occasional Motrin is all that gets issued these days. So, the real question is not only what meds to stock, but what meds are stock-able?

I think most bang for the buck can come from preventative preparation: Soap, alcohol, dressings, iodine, peroxide etc...

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably already been mentioned, but the thing that hangs me up about stocking any kinds of meds is the expiration date.

Stocking food is no problem, stock what you eat and it will always be rotated. Meds are not the same. Now that our kids are out of daycare, we are an insanely healthy family...the occasional Motrin is all that gets issued these days. So, the real question is not only what meds to stock, but what meds are stock-able?

I think most bang for the buck can come from preventative preparation: Soap, alcohol, dressings, iodine, peroxide etc...

I agree that preventative is best, but there are also circumstances that are beyond our control.

As to the expiration date on meds. This discussion has gone on in several threads. For the most part, meds do not expire when that date on the package rolls around. That is a "best by" date, not a "stops working immediately after" date. The date on medicines is that date at which the med company will guarantee the medicine is at 100% effectiveness. Most meds are good for years after the date on the package.

As to stocking and rotating....

One of the things that I have tried to do over the years is to get to where I have about a 3 month supply of my medications stocked.
I rotate them as I get the next prescription.
Of course, that being said, all of the meds that I take by prescription are medications of convenience, not life sustaining.

Dave

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the printed expiration date is not a drop dead, stop working date, but meds do lose efficacy over years which makes stockpiling and rotating meds you don't use regularly, like antibiotics, a costly endeavor.

It's money probably best spent on other preps like toilet paper and a gym membership LOL.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going to be eating lots of freeze dried foods, beans and rice, etc, you'd definitely better have a good sized supply of stool softeners, because you will be constipated, and that can definitely get serious.

Wallymart has some ordinary meds for $1 each. Get some.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're going to be eating lots of freeze dried foods, beans and rice, etc, you'd definitely better have a good sized supply of stool softeners, because you will be constipated, and that can definitely get serious.

Wallymart has some ordinary meds for $1 each. Get some.

I have IBS and know some way tastier cures for constipation, assuming I can come up with them post-collapse. Grape juice, milk or some watermelon, and I'll be fine. Granted, anyone who needs the bathroom after me won't be...

But something to make you go and something to make you stop are probably good ideas.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG....

Eff me.

I just spent an HOUR writing up an antibiotic guide for you guys, then I lost it in one click. No way I'm doing that again right now. ****. Sorry, maybe later.

<sigh>

Latest posts

Top Bottom