what scares you when walking it or out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoginfested

Marksman
Reaction score
We have a guy who lives on the adjacent property to our lease who has 3 rottweiler mixes who run wild. One has lost an eye and has had his ears chewed off. They found me one day while luckily I was in my stand. Barked and growled for awhile then wandered off. I always think about them while walking to my stand before daylight. Yeah, I've thought about shooting them and some day I may if the right opportunity arises. The owner is a hermit and a drunk, so I would have to haul the dogs away and no telling what the newspaper headlines would be if he put 2 and 2 together. Also, stumbling across a bedded down sow with piglets before sun up can also get the adrenaline pumping quite nicely. Walking to one of my stands is always an exciting adventure and I now walk pistol drawn.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coming home empty handed AGAIN lol. That's and just about everything that moves scares me a little bit in the mornings. I keep waiting to walk right into a spider web with a huge spider in it one ofthese days

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My two stories:

1. got to my area one time (on the ground) and got things set up and ready to go, when i heard a slight noise to my left on the other side of this small 10" round tree I was perched against....i heard it again but it sounded a little closer, my mind is starting to play games, so i slowly draw my pistol and listen, i hear the noise again and lean forward to look around the tree to see what it is coming down the path.....that’s when a squirrel with the size of a 200lbs pit bull head and snarly teeth and huge blood shot beady eyes decided to look around the other side and we ended up about 4" away face to face...don’t worry though my ear piercing banshee scream was enough to make him run away, so I was safe...needless to say that stand was over and off to the truck i went. My buddy showed up hours later and said "did you hear the coyotes killing something when we got hear, sounded like a rabbit". I then told him my story and all I hear now “keep an eye out for those big ass squirrels”

2. Got to my area and was set up ready to go, my first bow hunt so I was pretty pumped. It was dark and the light was about 40 mins away. I sat leaned up against a tree with my bow across my lap and listening to nature. My friend talked about the yotes and the new bobcat that had popped up on the game cam so I was day dreaming about that….when I heard a twig snap behind me, I zero in on the noise and start thinking of a plan…that is about the time my left arm got nudged and I sat there stone cold and then something took a big ass blow of breath on me. Slowly and I mean SLOWLY I turned to look and there stood Sampson. Sampson is a solid black 2000lb bull that come to find out; steps lighter than a feather falling….LOL. He is my friends’ family pet bull; he is just a big ol lush. So I stood up and walked back to the truck with Sampson in tow talking to him about how he can’t do that, because the deer will smell my poopy pants and my heart can’t take that….lol.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang spider webs...They cover your face and you just KNOW there is a spider big as a pie plate somewhere on you. Cant count the times I have slapped myself silly.

I keep waiting to walk right into a spider web with a huge spider in it one ofthese days

Uh, don't you guys know about holding a big stick out in front of you to break the spider webs before you get to them? Very handy especially during the early deer season, when the big orb weavers have spun their gigantic webs.

KilkennyArms

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep my Ranger 4 X 4 in a tent car port. I am terrified I am going to go out there inside the tent get in the vehicle start it up and scare the SKUNK under it. So there I am in a semi enclosed structure with mad skunk and your imagination can take it from there. If you think I should not worry I have found more than one snake in there and one actually up under the ranger coiled around the frame and sleeping.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i685.photobucket.com_albums_vv214_shootermcgavin_Funny_Hillary_Clinton.jpg

No, but a buddy of mine and I were talking about that the other day. How it is easy to let your mind play tricks on you. A dark shadow at at dusk with the tree moving just right can look like a lot of stuff.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Gosh man, I can't believe you posted that! Scared the crap out of me.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year was knowledge that there was a mountain lion in the area. This year probably running into the bull that the owner has out there. He was tearing up the dirt near me when I was hanging my stand. I got in the bed of the truck once as he was snorting while walking towards me. I really didn't want to have to explain to the owner that I didn't know where his bull was and why I was eating beef at every meal.

That and do I have TP in the pack as the truck is to far to walk without a discharge.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up in Hollis, from an early age, my grandparents always warned me about the hindya cats... Come to find out it was just a story to keep us in after dark. Thus we bought into the wildlife departments official statement that big cats aren't in Oklahoma.

Three years ago, cousin and I were driving out to the land, came across an eight foot long yellow blur in the road ahead. We just gave each other a glance, not exactly sure of what we saw. Neither of us wanted to speak of it.

Last year, in the same miles section that we manage, a fawn darts out across the road about forty feet off the bumper. A very familiar yellow blur in pursuit. We stop, glass out, and watch a cougar predation on this poor tasty fawn. Absolutely amazing. Shared the tale with the game wardens, to which they start sharing other stories. Seems cougars are being sighted regularly in SWOK. He advised us to keep a loaded rifle in the truck anytime we head out.

Long story short, even though these perfect predators instinctively steer clear of humans... My imagination starts running wild on dark calm mornings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom