What should a person do/know before an AR build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I've kind of got the bug to build an AR style rifle. I've always been the kind of guy that has some project going, from learning how to sand cast metal to building my own beehives and frames. Now that I have MS, I'm kind of hampered by the weather what I can do in the un-air conditioned shop. I've watched a bunch of YouTube video's and think it is within my skill set to assemble a rifle, but I like to know everything there is to know, before I start a project. So does anyone have any sugestions on what to read or watch before I begin?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Youtube is great! Use masking tape to protect the finish when driving the pins in. Assembling the lower springs inside a large ziploc bag will help catch a spring that often times shoots out when assembling.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Youtube should show pretty much EVERYTHING there is to building an AR15. Even though almost all are fine, you still should always check headspace. There is no reason not to check it in "building" any gun.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For the roll pins, I use a set of these pliers:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_404860-22328-87137_0__

They can be hard to find on google, but Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, and most places that sell tools will have them. "Parallel Jaw Pliers" is the best description of them. They are magic on roll pins.

With those, and common household tools, the lower can built from parts easily by anyone that is remotely handy with tools. The upper will require a vise, and vise block, and a barrel nut wrench.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Youtube should show pretty much EVERYTHING there is to building an AR15. Even though almost all are fine, you still should always check headspace. There is no reason not to check it in "building" any gun.

Hahaha.... I remember asking about headspace. Turned into a whole big mess of people piling on saying what an idiot I was for even considering it - even though I prefaced it by saying I know it wasn't "necessary", but if I wanted to do it to be thorough and do things 100% RIGHT, how would I go about it. God, that thread got me so mad, buncha people want to act like fools because someone wants to do things the safest and most thorough way possible. lol I oughtta go back and read that again, so I can remember who the jackholes were. lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom