What should a person do/know before an AR build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would recommend you think about what the gun will be used for and build it to best fill that need. whether it be hunting or HD or anti Nazi or target shooting etc...Then research what parts and options are best for that application.

IF you get it together and end up not liking it then you can just change it up as many times as needed until its to your liking...it just gets real expensive real quick to do that.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Becareful with AR15.com, there is as much or more misinformation on that site as there is good information.

Anyone that can change a flat tire can build an AR15. Having the right tools helps and prevents the need to tape anything to prevent scratching the finish. Upper halves are actually as easy or easier to assemble than lower halves, but once again, the right tools really help.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Becareful with AR15.com, there is as much or more misinformation on that site as there is good information.

Anyone that can change a flat tire can build an AR15. Having the right tools helps and prevents the need to tape anything to prevent scratching the finish. Upper halves are actually as easy or easier to assemble than lower halves, but once again, the right tools really help.

This right here.

I'd be happy to help anyone build an upper, a lower or both. I've got all the tools you need for the job in one little toolbag, with maybe the exception of some esoteric proprietary barrel nut wrenches or something for certain freefloats. I just love building guns and love teaching someone how to build their own and see the look on their face when they pick it up and it's all complete. And they have the satisfaction of having built it themselves "from scratch".

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm about to throw together a 6.8 upper any day. I have all the parts on the bench ready to go. I highly considered buying a complete upper. However, I have the exact setup I want and saved enough to consider building up a lower to go with my upper. I spent money where it counts and saved some where it wasn't so important.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This right here.

I'd be happy to help anyone build an upper, a lower or both. I've got all the tools you need for the job in one little toolbag, with maybe the exception of some esoteric proprietary barrel nut wrenches or something for certain freefloats. I just love building guns and love teaching someone how to build their own and see the look on their face when they pick it up and it's all complete. And they have the satisfaction of having built it themselves "from scratch".

You are a Good Guy TR.....Thanks... ;)

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've built a few and it's probably cheaper just to buy one, unless you want something special. I've seen S&W's for $500 or less online.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It isn't about the price, when I was a kid, I liked to take things apart and put them back together to see how they worked. Like I mentioned in my original post, one of the projects that I took on in the last few years was to build beehives and frames from scratch. It is much cheaper to buy the components from Dadant or one of the other major suppliers and just assemble them. I built my first couple of hives from lumber stock and plans off of the internet. If you figure my time was worth anything those hives probably cost me 500 hundred dollars or more. I've since taken buying the parts and putting the hives and frames together, but I just wanted the experience of building it all from scratch.

I've built a few and it's probably cheaper just to buy one, unless you want something special. I've seen S&W's for $500 or less online.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the bee hives. When I kept bee's I got my supplies from Dadant and others. AR-15's aren't that hard to build and you will learn a lot
about them. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom