What was your first "expensive" gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'm looking for is an exotic .22LR single-shot rifle of some ilk,,,
I promised myself I won't "cheap-out" on this big purchase,,,
But some of the rifles I'm looking at run around $1,600.

To tell the truth though,,,
I'm not sure I can make myself spend that much.

But this Winchester 1885 Low Wall is singing a siren song to me.

Aarond

DO IT! An 1885 is on my short list. I need to stick to the list instead of dumping absurd amounts of money into other guns on a whim!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had guns passed down to me. Those came from my Father to the oldest son then the next oldest son then me. I got to clean the guns as soon as I was old enough because my older brother was not so good at that and he sure didn't mind because if dad caught him with a dirty/misused gun, it was trouble.
But the first gun that I was allowed to buy was a rite of passage. The rules were as follows. On the important b'day, you were allowed to buy the 22 of your choice. It had to be bolt action and single shot. Every dime that went into purchasing the gun and cleaning supplies were out of your pocket. The gun was put on law away at any time you choose but you could not pick it up until your b'day. Mine was a bolt action 22 short/long/or LR plunger. It was beautiful. The wood was outstanding. I worked cleaning out tin horns (that's how small I was when I started) killing wasp nest the size of VW's, and any thing that would make a few coins (and that's what they paid a few coins). It took me a year and 12 days to pay it off in law away. This included a ram, patches, oil (3 in one worked best) and the wire brush.
Mr. Hunt kept the gun in the glass case with a big sold sign on it with my name. I wish I could have thanked him for that because it was for me and every I came in to look at it.
I kept that gun in pristine conditions till I was college age and it was stolen in a break in. I offered all the drug thugs a name your price reward but noting came of it.
My greatest most expensive gun I every owned was that bolt action 22 shooting short. longs and long rifles. I never missed what I was shooting. I knew everything that gun could do. And I earned the respect of my Father for never asking for it early but doing what a man was suppose to do in a deal.
Yep. That was the most valuable gun I ever owned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom