What was your first "expensive" gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to revise my answer because I forgot about one. I was at a gun show and this guy had a Browning Citori Gran Lightning 12ga in a Browning luggage case. It was in really good shape except for bluing wear on the bottom of the receiver. I asked about it and he said that was from draping it over his arm because he used it duck hunting! Well he'd spotted a Benelli Super Black Eagle a couple of rows over he couldn't live without.

I had to borrow $100 from my buddy to get it, but I walked away with that Gran Lightning for $800, which was the most I'd ever spent on a gun at the time. :)

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's awesome! That takes me back, man... I am glad to hear that.
Thanks! I enjoyed it and all I needed to refresh my memory was one 16 minute YT video. I was even able to seat the trigger pins--something I wasn't able to do the first time.
And now due to the 'rona, I may end up having to put it on the market just to survive, after less than 100 rounds through it at the Ponca range day. :( I'm hoping not... trying to decide if it comes to that if I sell the Z or the rifle. <sigh>

But hey, things can be replaced, right? Right.
Not only can they be replaced, you'll have the satisfaction of building another firearm with your own hands, to your own specifications.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
eDXPYq3l.jpg
Since I've gotten back into photography as another hobby of mine, I've got my eye on your tripod! What is it, if I may inquire?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
My most expensive guns... well... it comes in stages, as life evolves, right?
And now due to the 'rona, I may end up having to put it on the market just to survive, after less than 100 rounds through it at the Ponca range day. :( I'm hoping not... trying to decide if it comes to that if I sell the Z or the rifle. <sigh>

But hey, things can be replaced, right? Right.

And you're in a good field with good money. That 6K gun isn't going to sell fast with the state of most of the economy unless you're willing to take a big hit. You may get lucky on the other site and sell it to someone, but I doubt it stays in Oklahoma at that point.

My first was an old Remington 700 BDL that had a shot out .243 barrel. I had it trued and re-barreled with a heavy slow wist .243 barrel. Topped that off with my first real scope, a Leupold 4.5-14x50 mil dot with target turrets. Put it in my first real aftermarket stock, a HS Precision with an aluminum bedding block. That was around the late 80s and it was around 1400 all said and done. I still have it but it's been through 2 more barrels and now wears a smokeless muzzleloader barrel. With a 5 digit serial number and the clip slot cutout, I just can't bring myself to part with it.

I did manage to win a Browning Gold hunter from a NWTF dinner and promptly got rid of it. It was too pretty to actually shoot.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I've gotten back into photography as another hobby of mine, I've got my eye on your tripod! What is it, if I may inquire?

Sure thing! It's an Innorel RT80C. I have a bowl mount and the 55mm ball head with arca clamps.

I got mine via Amazon's warehouse deals for fairly cheap and it sure beats paying RRS prices.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was a Browning HiPower Renaissance Model 9mm, like the top one in the picture. I paid $285 at Dillards in Little Rock in 1970. Sold it a few years later for $750. Thought I'd made a killing. Not!
Really messed up by not buying the 3-gun set. It was around $750 at the time. A lot of money then.

www.collectorebooks.com_gregg01_europistol_DSC05599.jpg

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was a Browning HiPower Renaissance Model 9mm, like the top one in the picture. I paid $285 at Dillards in Little Rock in 1970. Sold it a few years later for $750. Thought I'd made a killing. Not!
Really messed up by not buying the 3-gun set. It was around $750 at the time. A lot of money then.

www.collectorebooks.com_gregg01_europistol_DSC05599.jpg

Looked them up, now around $11k to $15k for the set of 3.:hot:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom