What would you like to see changed, seasons-wise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would like to see DOVE season one to two weeks early. current opening date is sept 1st.

I have hunted them for about 30 years and there seems to be a weather pattern where the first 3 weeks of august - no weather fronts, but the last weeks get a storm moving thru and pushes the birds out.

Or - all of august is dry and hot = good opening day.

These major fronts seems to come thru the last week in august so I would think opening day of 15th or 20th of august would get more shooting.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hog hunting-eliminate the "weapon appropriate for the season". Coyotoes are always in season, but what is appropriate? Its left to interpritation and that is where things can get muddy. clearly identify weapons allowed for year round hog hunting.

Limit bucks to one per year. You guys may hate me, but it is what it is. I enjoy archery season. If it was limited to one buck per year leases would be cheaper, because out of state folks would not want to bother with OK. Should the buck limit increase you will see lease prices jump up as well. Along with buck limits, the gun seaon dates have a direct effect on lease prices. The longer the gun season, the higher the price. A one buck limit would help to balance the herd.

Create some areas for disabled hunters in all public hunting areas. They would be established for them and them alone....period. Some good box stands over food plots would be nice.

Move the youth turkey season dates. Move them up another week. I spend a good deal of time trying to figure out the birds for opening day, only to have that blown out of the water due to the youth season. I am a big supporter of the youth season, I just wish it was earlier so that the birds would settle down before I get a crack at them.

Allow archery hunting of turkeys at Thunderbird under a drawing system. there are tons of birds. I see about 20 everytime I am out there, but yet they are restricted in the state park.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would Like to see an earn a buck put in place for the second buck tag. You can have your one and then if you shoot a doe you can purchase a second buck tag.

Scream at me all you want but I would like to see a minimum antler restriction put in place. Maybe 3 on one side like Arkansas.

I would be opposed to any extension of firearms or primitive season. I know bow hunters shoot some small deer but the primitive and firearms season is horrible for the little guys. Go sit at the check station and watch all the yearlings checked in. As long as our buck to doe is out of wack we need to have some management of the herd and its proven time and again that some hunters won't do it without being forced. I know this would reduce numbers of bucks harvested SHOOT A DOE. This effect would be short lived within a few years of letting the little fellas go we would have a jump in buck harvests again because all those lil fellas will grow up.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Drop the two doe only weekends in December, for a 9 day muzzleloader season the last week of December. Also make it a earn a buck season you must have checked in at least one doe from any season that year to be allowed to harvest a buck in the late muzzleloader season.

I like it! I'm a MZ guy.For years i carried a mz during rifle season.I know,the "not enough mz" stuff just got negated.I would still like more dedicated mz opportunity.

Rusty81

New to the site!
Reaction score
I would love to see a Walk in and hunt program established with the farmers in Oklahoma. Coming from Kansas, this program works really well. It helps move the migritory birds around, and also helps to the the deer back into check by allowing more land access to. This would also help to keep the lease prices in check and help the farmers raise a little bit of extra well needed money.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would like to see DOVE season one to two weeks early. current opening date is sept 1st.

I have hunted them for about 30 years and there seems to be a weather pattern where the first 3 weeks of august - no weather fronts, but the last weeks get a storm moving thru and pushes the birds out.

Or - all of august is dry and hot = good opening day.

These major fronts seems to come thru the last week in august so I would think opening day of 15th or 20th of august would get more shooting.

Unfortunately the states have no control to open the season earlier. Federal law does not allow migratory bird seasons to open earlier than Sept 1st.

I too would love to see it earlier.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too would like the night hunting. I however see a both positive and negative aspect to it.

I may be totally crazy (my wife would agree) but I personally would like to see some antler restrictions. I think this would allow more bucks to become mature. If you are meet hunting, shoot a doe. As far as the does.....there just needs to be more of them killed. I really like the idea of the "earn a buck" system that has been brought up. There needs to be a way to more or less make people kill does before a buck.

jwdizney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Move the extra week of rifle season to the week before thanksgiving. Might hit the rut more consistently.

I agree.. we're missing a lot of the rut between primitive and gun seasons.. sure there's bow hunting, but I prefer gun hunting. i'd also like to see landowner freedom to control predators like bobcats out of season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom