What's wrong with EOTech?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got to ask - and I'm not calling anyone out, but I'd honestly like to know what the quality/durability complaints I keep hearing (on this board and a few others) about EOTech optics are. And what does the Aimpoint have that the EOTech doesn't when it comes to durability?

Everytime I've read about one on the net, its a "I knew someone who had one" type of deal, or just a statement about how Aimpoint is way higher quality than EOTech. I've found no measurable statistics or documented facts pointing out how fragile EOTechs are when torture tested. I've heard little complaints about them at all (especially with the modern day Rev F series and even more so, the Govt models).

I started reading about Aimpoint complaints and I've read a couple of comparisons to the Millet Zoom Dot claiming that its better than the Aimpoint (it sounds like BS to me - unless its talking about a model other than the Comp models), but there does appear to be several things about the Aimpoint that kind of indicate that it isn't the super-quality optic that I thought it was (especially over the EOTech).

This isnt' another Aimpoint vs. EOTech thread, its honestly a "why is the EOTech less quality / more fragile than the Aimpoint" question.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally have an EOTech 557.223 right now that I had to send back to them for a repair. When I got the unit it was clear and after about 200 rounds fired from my Bushy M4, the reticle became very unfocused and blurry. I called them up and they took it back without hesitation and offered to repair it and if it could not be repaired then they would replace all of the internals and send it back to me. I have lost a bit of confidence in their products now but I will at least give them another chance before I jump ship to the Aimpoint clan.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with you there does seem to be a lot of eotech hatred here and elsewhere. I have a 512 mounted on my ar and have put close to 400 rounds through it with the optic mounted and never lost zero after sightin in on the first 30 rounds. i did all kinds of research on both before even buying my ar.

My opinion on the 2 is this. The eotech wins the price category because you dont have to buy a mount for it unlike all the aimpoints except for the comp m4 which is $700 vs $390. Both have the capability of running a NV device and both are in the same price range for that feature. Both have a bunch of brightness settings which i have taken my eotech out in the dark in the woods looking for hogs and such and didnt have any issues getting a brightness level that suited the current lighting.

About the only thing i can think of the aimpoint has over the eotech is run time on batteries. Which i use the lithium AA's and havent had any problems. if you wanna get really picky get an acog that run forever without batteries at all. Anyways thats my .02 take it for a grain of salt as im not in the military and ran this in the desert 24hrs a day 7 days a week.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 517 that's worked nicely so far on an AR, but when I mounted it on a 870 pump shotgun, the locking arm that holds down the battery cover would flip up after 2-3 shots. A call to EOTech Support resulted in the shipping, gratis, of a battery cover with a thicker shim they said would keep the locking arm from coming loose. I installed the new cover, but have yet to test it.

Made me wonder why they didn't install that thicker shim to start with, though.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Eotech 512 since 2003, dumped alot of rounds on it, mounted on shotgun and switched back on the AR. Dropped twice at the range and home but it still hold zero. I can't complain about it, i'm happy with it.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Aimpont is not plagued with horrendous battery life..

The Aimpoint is not crippled by rain...

The Aimpoint does not require buttons be pushed to activate..

The Aimpont is not haunted by battery contact issues...

The Aimpoint is battle tested to a degree the EoTech will never be..

The Aimpoint uses a much simpler reticle...

The Aimpoint is basically the same sight that was developed with the CompM, with revisions over the years. The EoTech is completely revamped every couple of years, due to some new issue..

Aimpoint has never filed an injunction, keeping needed items out of soldier, Marine, and Sailor hands. L3 (EoTech) has....

Aimpoint is the Mil Std issue, in the M68 CCO...

There are thousands of EoTechs in battel as we speak, while there are hundreds of thousands of Aimpoints in the same place...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Aimpont is not plagued with horrendous battery life..

The Aimpoint is not crippled by rain...

The Aimpoint does not require buttons be pushed to activate..

The Aimpont is not haunted by battery contact issues...

The Aimpoint is battle tested to a degree the EoTech will never be..

The Aimpoint uses a much simpler reticle...

The Aimpoint is basically the same sight that was developed with the CompM, with revisions over the years. The EoTech is completely revamped every couple of years, due to some new issue..

Aimpoint has never filed an injunction, keeping needed items out of soldier, Marine, and Sailor hands. L3 (EoTech) has....

Aimpoint is the Mil Std issue, in the M68 CCO...

There are thousands of EoTechs in battel as we speak, while there are hundreds of thousands of Aimpoints in the same place...

That's fair man - I was actually hoping you or Josh would chime in and give an opinion.

I get the battery life - and I read about pre-RevF battery contact issues, as well as Push-button start-up (again related to battery life), but could you explain the rain comment? That's a pretty big concern to me as I've been using mine to hunt and have been in a mist, but not been in a hard-rain yet - I'd like to think that I could still hunt with an optic in the rain.

I've read about EOTech being un-American, but never understood why - I guess the injunction explains that.

Thanks for the info man.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
didn't know about all this fuss... before buying my Eotech.

shot thousands of rounds on pellet guns with a Bushnell's version of Eotech. not a problem one.. zero failure, if you don't count when battery getting low. had one battery change after a year of shooing.

maybe I assumed wrongly since Eotech makes the Bushnell units. there be no problems. only shot a few hundred rounds with Eotech on AR15. no problems so far.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've had my eotech in the rain actually the last time i went out hunting. wasnt bad just makes it a little harder to see if it gets on the glass but i just wiped it off with my shirt tail. I know i know supposed to use a super soft lint free cloth but really who's gonna carry that while hunting. Either way didnt have any issues.

I would like to get my hands on an aimpoint at some time but since i was working on a tight budget i opted for the eotech. no buyers remorse though still a great optic for the money but if im gonna spend 700 or more itd be on a top of the line leupold, nightforce, or acog for that kinda money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom