what's your favorite assault rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think a bazooka would qualify, but perhaps a 105 recoiless would? lol

While I like the M-16 best, I think the AK series is a better all around battle implement (within it's limitations). They both have their niche where they excel so it's close to a wash. To me the best AK variant is the Valmet (excluding the Sig 556 series, which many consider an AK derivative). None of the select fire heavy .30's ever excelled in the full auto mode due to recoil issues.

Of course, any discussion of assault rifles should pay homage to the forerunner, the Stg 44. Without it we may not have assault rifles today, at least in their current form.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep - its important to be picky with what we call 'em because if we start calling them assault rifles, the libs get that crow-bar a little deeper into the mix because "why would anyone need a rifle that is designed to assault someone".

Look at the 94 "Assault Weapons" ban (I detest the word "Assault Weapon") - at no time in my life have I been more ashamed of politicians who were using misnomer to pass agenda-specific laws and most gun people let it happen by not correcting this bill in its early stages since the word "Assault Weapon" was a made-up term.

I don't even mind mags/clips anymore, but I correct gun people (and non-gun people) all the time when they use the word "Assault Rifle" to describe a semi-auto sporting rifle.

That being said, I like the AR-15 (as I probably won't ever save up for a Pre-86 full-auto conversion or M16), but I'd love to own a semi-auto FAL as well.

Amen Brother!

My Henry pump .22Lr. I try to use it to assault as many people as possible.

LOL, I almost choked on that :clap3:

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my AK-47! It just shoots and shoots... I don't have to clean it as much as my AR, it handles all of the cheapest ammo and delivers one big load of lead. I really dig it!

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That, looks effective. If I could actually afford an M-14 and the ammo to feed it, that might make me reconsider one.

I know and understand what you mean. I qualified on the M14 in basic, never having shot anything more than a 22LR and 410 shotgun. I thought WOW, this is a real rifle and made expert or what ever it was back then, in other words, the rifle was already zeroed in and I made all the shots in the X ring, standing no prone or stuff like that. I was just a newbie then, did not think anything else about it, but to this day I love it and the M1 Garand. And, no I don't want to spend the money to buy the real one, but my civilian versions work great for deer, hogs, etc.
Thanks for putting up with the memories, or is that mammories of an ol' guy;)

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
although i don't own one i would take the MSAR E4. short overall without the $200 stamp, takes ar mags, shoots relativly cheap 5.56.

as far as what i own my m1a takes the cake over the AR although its heavy. my mind might change on this when im done building my sidecharging ar, but i doubt it...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
although i don't own one i would take the MSAR E4. short overall without the $200 stamp, takes ar mags, shoots relativly cheap 5.56.

as far as what i own my m1a takes the cake over the AR although its heavy. my mind might change on this when im done building my sidecharging ar, but i doubt it...

I'm a huge M14 fan, but my M1A is a beast to haul around the woods - I got sick of that really quick - and it just has irons on it. I started dragging around the AR for hunting if I'm not setting up far away with my Bolt-gun.

I can totally see how many of the soldiers were happy to go from the M14 to the M16 - My dad said he was one of the first platoons to get the M16s and they hauled around M14s before that - he was happy to get a lighter rifle to carry around.

Hell I think my heavy-barrel bolt-action with a HUGE scope on it only ways like 2-3 more pounds than my M1A with Irons and a full 10rd mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom