what's your favorite assault rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the "AR" as in AR-15 stands simply for ArmaLite, not ArmaLite Rifle.

The ArmaLite AR-5 was a break open over/under .22 Hornet/.410 shotgun.
There was also an ArmaLite AR-17 that was a 12ga shotgun. http://store.vintagepaperads.com/ser...h-17-12/Detail

That's funny - I always heard that "AR" stood for "American Rifle" and thought it was just a specific series of models at Armalite.

Hmm - you learn something new every day :thumb:

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that when Armalite sold the patent to Colt the name went with it. To the best of my knowledge the title "AR15" is owned by Colt, hence making Colt the only AR15 on the market. Although if I remember correctly Bushmaster leased the patent or name, designating some of their rifles AR15 and these rifles are stamped as such. Please correct me of I'm wrong.

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never fired an assault rifle,a subgun once, but if I could have one I would take a BAR.

thats more of a light machine gun than a "assult rifle". however i believe that ohio ordance makes a semi automatic version for around 5K$. and they are WAY heavy. but i guess were all entitled to our own opinion.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the "AR" as in AR-15 stands simply for ArmaLite, not ArmaLite Rifle.

The ArmaLite AR-5 was a break open over/under .22 Hornet/.410 shotgun.
There was also an ArmaLite AR-17 that was a 12ga shotgun. http://store.vintagepaperads.com/ser...h-17-12/Detail

That's funny - I always heard that "AR" stood for "American Rifle" and thought it was just a specific series of models at Armalite.

Hmm - you learn something new every day :thumb:

They also make the AR-24. A semi-automatic 9mm handgun.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom