Which Compact?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang.. still trying to pull the trigger on the first hand gun... Now I'm thinking of going with a compact for CCW.

So, I've narrowed it down to these:

Smith M&P 9mm Sub Compact

Glock 26

Taurus PT111

And perhaps a Walther PPS - H&H doesn't have one to rent, so i'm not sure how it shoots, but it feels great in my hand. Anyone know of a place i can shoot this gun?

Any comments on these choices? I shot the top three today. Some differences.. all about the same size.

Thanks for any thoughts.

B

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally would drop the PT111 and just draw a straw between the G26 and M&P9c. Both are great. Shoot both and see which you like more.

I prefer the Glock 19 over both.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you tell me why to drop it? It is thinner and less expensive. I don't know about the manual safety though...

I shot both the M&P and the Glock today. Pretty similar feel.. I shot them about the same.... I LOVE the M&P full size, but think something more concealable would be better for carry... I know a lot of people carry the full size glocks and m&p. Having not done it, I have no perspective.

PPS looks great.. just don't know about how it feels to shoot.

Thanks!

B

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reasons to drop the Taurus:

- Poor QC
- Lack of aftermarket support
- Bad customer service
- Expensive magazines

Basically it may or may not be a good gun for you...it may or may not need a trip back to Taurus at some point. These are "maybes" for all guns, but especially for Taurus. If you want a gun for the long haul, get one of the others you have listed.

If you can conceal the full size M&P, do it.

You can't go wrong with the M&P or GLOCK. Personal preference should dictate.

As for a small CCW, I was looking into the PPS, but eventually went with a Kahr CW9 and have no regrets. It fits my hands better, I shoot it well, and it's a real KISS gun with no extemporaneous safeties, decockers, or trick mag wells. It was also much cheaper.

To each his own, but I'd advise against the Taurus unless it's all you can afford.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks MM! I love the full size M&P. I should just shutup and buy that and *see* if I can carry it. I read that whole thread you started on your Kahr. I will check out that gun too.

I'm a "big" guy and I also have to tuck in my shirts most of the time. I teach on a college campus anyway and can't carry there, but I almost always tuck in the shirt. The smartcarry interests me, but with a belly in the front, I'm not sure how well that will work... anyone big in front use one?

I've heard some mention they IWB carry with a tucked in shirt. How does THAT work?

Thanks to all for the help.

B

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard enough negative about Taurus, I would go with the M&P9c or the G19. I'm not a big guy and I can carry either easily and have. The G26 is a decent enough gun, but doesn't give you much to hang on to. Unless you have really strict concealment needs, pick one bigger ones above. If you can carry full size, go with those. If you are unsure buy a used one in good shape and you should be able to resell it for what you have in it if it doesn't work for you.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I concur with BigRed. Go Glock and get the G19. Suh-weeeeeet gun!

And MMChambers is correct about Taurus. They're not even in the same league as the Glock and S&W.

I'm not a fan of sub-compact polymer guns. Not enough surface area to control follow-up shots for me. Compacts are very cool though. That's why I'd go G19 - one of the best Glocks made.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A CCW firearm is a life insurance policy, your selection of such will determine what you feel your life is worth. My life and the lives of my family are worth alot to me, so I carry a quality firearm that I know will work when I need it to, and I also have had the training, and practice those skills so I can if ever needed defend them or myself.

Regardless of type i.e. revolver or semi-auto all guns can and will malfunction, but if you go with a company that has a good solid track record i.e. S&W, SIG, Glock, Walther, Beretta, SA, your chances of getting a lemon are few and far between.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard enough negative about Taurus, I would go with the M&P9c or the G19. I'm not a big guy and I can carry either easily and have. The G26 is a decent enough gun, but doesn't give you much to hang on to. Unless you have really strict concealment needs, pick one bigger ones above. If you can carry full size, go with those. If you are unsure buy a used one in good shape and you should be able to resell it for what you have in it if it doesn't work for you.

This ... We have both the 19 and the 26, as well as the 31 and 32. More often than not the full size guns are what we choose to carry. Not too hard to conceal, just have to pay attention and with me especially, the compacts dig into my hand and bruise my palm making practice (and therefore comfort level) not as high with the 19 or 31.

I would hate to be concentrating on my gun that I am uncomfortable with in a situation instead of having my attention on the matter at hand. GC however, is very comfortable with the compacts. It is a toss up with him which he carries most times.

All that said my "go to" carry weapon is, 99% of the time, a full size Colt 1911 -- slim frame, I am wicked accurate with it and it fits perfectly in the side compartment of my purse or SOB in a paddle holster (I know, I know, I know).

Latest posts

Top Bottom