Which twist for .223 bolt action?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Mini-14 has a 1 in 9 twist and loves 70 grain bullets. My .223 bolt action is a Mini-Mauser with a 20" barrel - I had always shot 45 & 50 grain bullets in it until recently, but changed to 55 grain bullets because that was pretty much what I had. Very pleased with the accuracy with the 55 grain bullet, but I don't know what the twist rate is. I guess the short answer is to get a 9" or faster twist, but I don't know what most factory .223 bolt rifles usually come with. I'm betting they are 9" or faster.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Browning is a 1-10 rate. I shot up to 69 grain ammo in it. It loves the 55-60. I only target shoot with it though. It has a 24 inch barrel I think.

soonerman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like 1/7" because you only increase the stability.

1/7 for supersonic .308s was tested in the latest SNIPER magazine and it held groups as well as the 1/11.25" and was able to also keep subs on target to 600 yards.

Sent from Android TappyTalkie

Last edited:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We have two CZ's American's in .223, and 1-12 twist with 26" barrels. Both rifle's shoot well with with just about any loads from 40gr up into the 60 grain loadings. Granted we only have a 100yd rifle range, but I haven't noticed any key-holing from the heavier bullets.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding of twist rates and bullet weight is that longer bullets need more spin to stabilize. It is based on bullet length more than weight. Usually the longer a bullet is the heavier it is.

Not so with Barnes all copper bullets. A 70 grain all copper Barnes is longer than a 70 grain lead core bullet and may need more twist. The info swampratt posted is from Barnes and covers their bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom