Which would you pick?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
None of the above.

Save up a little more cash and get a used Glock, XD or M&P from the OSA classifieds.

Regardless of what you get, make sure it meets these requirements:
1) Is it reliable? Can I bet my life and the life of my loved ones on this weapon?
2) How does it function? Can I properly function and deploy this weapon when I absolutely must be able to?
3) Is it concealable? If this weapon is for concealed carry, can I properly and safely conceal this weapon? When it's concealed, can I properly draw this weapon?
4) Does it point where I aim it? Does it point naturally for you?
5) Can you shoot the gun? If you can't manage the recoil and get fast follow-up shots, its too much gun.

Best advice one could give IMHO.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question. Have you shot any of these? If you haven't, I'd suggest borrowing one if you can or renting one from somewhere like H&H. I don't know how much shooting experience you have, but little 9mm like these can be quite a handful if you aren't used to them.

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all WELCOME to the board!

None of the above.

Save up a little more cash and get a used Glock, XD or M&P from the OSA classifieds.

1) Is it reliable? Can I bet my life and the life of my loved ones on this weapon?
2) How does it function? Can I properly function and deploy this weapon when I absolutely must be able to?
3) Is it concealable? If this weapon is for concealed carry, can I properly and safely conceal this weapon? When it's concealed, can I properly draw this weapon?
5) Can you shoot the gun? If you can't manage the recoil and get fast follow-up shots, its too much gun.

Great advice and I echo the Glock statement. You can buy used 3rd Gen Glocks all day long from summitgunbroker.com. Right now they have a 3rd Gen G23 (.40 cal), with two 13 rnd mags, night sights, box, etc. for $385. Can't beat that with a stick.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Question. Have you shot any of these? If you haven't, I'd suggest borrowing one if you can or renting one from somewhere like H&H. I don't know how much shooting experience you have, but little 9mm like these can be quite a handful if you aren't used to them.

I have shot a Keltec P11, which is the double stack version of the PF9, and that was not an issue for me. I handled a 709 yesterday and liked the feel of the gun, but I don't know much about it other than what has been read. The Bersa was not on my radar until I saw the 380 version of it yesterday.

Thank you for all of the suggesstions. I have been looking at the Glocks as well, but most that I have seen seem to be larger and I am looking for something that is smaller and more "pocket pistol" size. I have an H&K USP 40 and a Taurus PT99 that fit the standard size firearm bill.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.357Sig
None of the above.

Best advice one could give IMHO.

+1 I second the motion.

A gun will not do you any good if you can't run it when your life is on the line.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you are new to handguns, (even if you are still relatively new) I'd agree with 357Sigs' advice. I would not recommend any of those three as a first or even second gun to own. I would also not recommend them as a primary carry gun. If you already have a carry gun, but are looking for something to carry as a BUG, or as a deep cover gun only when necessary, then look at guns in the size range you listed. If you meet that, then I would recommend the KelTec over either of the others. The Bersa is not a pocket sized gun from what I can tell.

As an example, I carry every day, but still only rarely feel that I would be benefitted by getting one of the ultra compact pistols. There just aren't that many situations where I can't conceal a Glock 19.

Latest posts

Top Bottom