Who all is waiting for their CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually there is a bill in the legislature presently to reduce the fee for a permit to $35. Let your reps know you want it to pass.

Cost isnt my main issue, its the turnaround time, and the process they have. They lost my app, and found it on day 98, hit the lady's desk on day 99, and even though they recieved it on the 31st of Oct, she said it was day one of the actual process. People are going beyond their 30 day grace period, even when applying on day one of the renewal window. How is that possible when a large # of states are completing the process in less time than our Sheriff's can get the app to OSBI?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I am saying, is that you could apply for a non-resident permit from another state, Utah, Penn, etc. Most of these states require you to have a permit in your home state to obtain. However, most will let you keep your non-resident, even if your home state permit expires, so lets say 5 years from now, yours is fixing to expire, instead of waiting 90+ days and paying 100-200 to OSBI, you could apply to another state for a non-resident permit for like 112(70+42 app fee) for a 7 year Florida permit,, and maintain it and carry in OK, then pay 102 every 7 years to renew, which is half the cost of Oklahoma's. New Hampshire has a 14 day turnaround. Several states run 2-4 week turnaround, with lower licensing costs then ours.

The renewal for a 5 year license is $85, making the annual cost $17/year. 17*7 =119 so you are saving $17 on that FL license. A far cry from the half cost for an OK license. They only way you get to half is if you compare the cost of the 7 yr FL license with the 10 year OK license without taking into account the time difference.

As far as length of time, do the other states do the same type of background checks that OSBI does? I don't know and I haven't felt the need to check, but you have to consider these things when wondering why other states get it done so much faster.

You also have to realize that over the last year, there has been a large influx of applications. Last time I did a renewal I had it in about 30 days. I imagine in about 5 years, the renewal period will get long again because all those people will be up for renewal.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good for you, but that's annoying for us... We turned ours into the Oklahoma County Sheriff on 10/30/2012. OSBI charged the credit card on 11/21/2012. Still waiting for the permits. Looks like the OCSO sat on ours for awhile...

LL

Sheriffs office has 14 days to get it to OSBI so they should have had it delivered to OSBI by 11/13. Then it sits in the pile for about a week until OSBI starts the process and charges the card.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot the renewal prices are cheaper, but, again, my biggest problem is with OSBI's turn around. Once they found my app, they expected me to start all over from the begining almost. Once I talked to someone who cared, they processed it in one day. From what I was told, they request documents from your municipal court, as they requested my check via Moore's Municipal Court, who had an instant response. After that, I am not sure what is left to process, but not enough to hold it up much, since she looked at it and said it would be in the mail on Monday. OSBI from my understanding has added around a dozen + employees just for SDA app's and expecting to hire more. I can only hope they do.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot the renewal prices are cheaper, but, again, my biggest problem is with OSBI's turn around. Once they found my app, they expected me to start all over from the begining almost. Once I talked to someone who cared, they processed it in one day. From what I was told, they request documents from your municipal court, as they requested my check via Moore's Municipal Court, who had an instant response. After that, I am not sure what is left to process, but not enough to hold it up much, since she looked at it and said it would be in the mail on Monday. OSBI from my understanding has added around a dozen + employees just for SDA app's and expecting to hire more. I can only hope they do.

Since they added a 3rd shift to only work on SDA approvals the times have been getting better and better. Hopefully they will keep the extra staff and renewals will get down to just a couple of weeks.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I am saying, is that you could apply for a non-resident permit from another state, Utah, Penn, etc. Most of these states require you to have a permit in your home state to obtain. However, most will let you keep your non-resident, even if your home state permit expires, so lets say 5 years from now, yours is fixing to expire, instead of waiting 90+ days and paying 100-200 to OSBI, you could apply to another state for a non-resident permit for like 112(70+42 app fee) for a 7 year Florida permit,, and maintain it and carry in OK, then pay 102 every 7 years to renew, which is half the cost of Oklahoma's. New Hampshire has a 14 day turnaround. Several states run 2-4 week turnaround, with lower licensing costs then ours.

I could be mistaken here...but I thought that if you were an Oklahoma resident, you needed an OK license. A non-resident license would be for someone travelling or taking up temporary residnets in a state. Not for someone trying to circumvent the process.

I agree the OK process is frustratingly long....but they do eventually get this licenses out. Also, the clock does not start on the day you submit to the sheriff's office...it starts when OSBI processes your payment.

connorkeef

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could be mistaken here...but I thought that if you were an Oklahoma resident, you needed an OK license. A non-resident license would be for someone travelling or taking up temporary residnets in a state. Not for someone trying to circumvent the process.

I agree the OK process is frustratingly long....but they do eventually get this licenses out. Also, the clock does not start on the day you submit to the sheriff's office...it starts when OSBI processes your payment.

Pretty sure this isn't true. If so, why do all the people who don't qualify for an Oklahoma license go get a Florida, for example. It would need to be outlined in the state statutes (ie SDA law book).

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Correct, Sheriff has 14 days. OSBI typically charges the day they recieve it, thus day 1. In my case, day one was Oct. 31, it was turned into CCSO on the 17th. Oklahoma recognizes most states licenses be it a resident license or non-resident license. And if you read my previous post, most states require you to have a license from your resident state to obtain their non-resident permit. However, you dont have to retain your state permit to keep their non-resident once you have it. They offer non-resident permits as someone could live in a state that does not have carry laws, but travels/works in states that do. They wouldnt be able to carry since they cant get a resident permit in their state, but with a non-resident permit, they would then have the ability to carry where so allowed. Also, before some of these states were requiring a permit from the resident state, a ton of people on here where getting UT permits, as their turnaround was less than 30 days, and considerably cheaper than ours. There were even a few guys here advertising the class.

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure this isn't true. If so, why do all the people who don't qualify for an Oklahoma license go get a Florida, for example. It would need to be outlined in the state statutes (ie SDA law book).

What disqualifications does OK have that would allow someone to get their license in FL? Looking at their site I dont see anything that would disqualify someone in OK, that would allow them to obtain a FL permit. Also, most states now require you to have a permit from your homestate before obtaining a non-resident permit, so there wouldnt be any circumventing the process, just not renewing OK's. Another reason some people will obtain a non-resident perrmit is reciprocity. Since not all states have reciprocity agreements, a non-resident permit may grant you the ability to carry where your resident permit wont. On the flip side, some states dont recipricate non-resident permits, only resident permits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom