Who else...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never heard of that with the old style batteries. Reminded me of some of other young man, apartment dwellers I lived near back in the late 1970’s, thought keeping their cigarette carton in the freezer would keep their Marlboros’ fresh and mellow, longer.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of that with the old style batteries. Reminded me of some of other young man, apartment dwellers I lived near back in the late 1970’s, thought keeping their cigarette carton in the freezer would keep their Marlboros’ fresh and mellow, longer.
Refrigeration slows down cmany hemical processes. Heating speeds up many chemical processes. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. I spent most of the 10 years I was a photographer either in a desert or Florida. We put food in a refrigerator to help it last longer. You could reasonably say it's big business! Though I don't know to many people who really stock up on cigarettes enough to make it worth while. 🤔

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Refrigeration slows down cmany hemical processes. Heating speeds up many chemical processes. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it doesn't. I spent most of the 10 years I was a photographer either in a desert or Florida. We put food in a refrigerator to help it last longer. You could reasonably say it's big business! Though I don't know to many people who really stock up on cigarettes enough to make it worth while. 🤔

Seeing what the cost of cigarettes has become, I'm shocked at the number of people that looked down and out that were smoking. Saw lots of that along the I-5 corridor in Oregon.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing what the cost of cigarettes has become, I'm shocked at the number of people that looked down and out that were smoking. Saw lots of that along the I-5 corridor in Oregon.
I smoked for a few months when I was 17, or maybe 18. Was $0.35 per pack, including tax, for my 3-pack a day habit. Found I could get 5 used paperback books for that money, quit smoking the same day. Not that it's saved me any money...

Attachments

• 20240907_120026.jpg
    20240907_120026.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Isn't it amazing, the people complaining of being broke, kids are hungry, lights about to be turned off, BUT they have money for cigarettes, beer, pot and lottery tickets.

The old carbon/zinc batteries would last longer stored in refrigerator.
Ni-Cad are still being made, but are not as common as they were.
Newer technology MIGHT store longer in fridge, but shelf life is 10 years, when kept in stable environment. I keep batteries in a plastic ammo can with dessicant.

I was a battery tech.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing, the people complaining of being broke, kids are hungry, lights about to be turned off, BUT they have money for cigarettes, beer, pot and lottery tickets.

The old carbon/zinc batteries would last longer stored in refrigerator.
Ni-Cad are still being made, but are not as common as they were.
Newer technology MIGHT store longer in fridge, but shelf life is 10 years, when kept in stable environment. I keep batteries in a plastic ammo can with dessicant.

I was a battery tech.
Well, old habits die hard so I think I'll keep storing them in the fridge. After all, theres plenty of room and no humidity. If I moved them now I'd forget where I put them LOL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't buy carbon/zinc batteries anymore.
Gone totally lithium rechargeables with a buddy battery box storage. Everything from D cells to 9 volt.
The last time I went to Dollar General to get a 9v battery, it was almost $9 for one. Lithium-ion rechargeable is less than that with the charging cable included on amazon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom