Why do people hate Metallica?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's very disingenuous. If they said they produce a product and deserved to be compensated for it, then at least they'd be honest.

Don't take this personal - you are invalidating their claim based on legalistic style? Stealing = bad. Who cares about the artsy-fartsy justification provided to prosecute it?

I used to really enjoy listening to Metallica.
Then they stopped making good music and started alienating fans who downloaded their music.
IMHO if it's free over the air (radio) then it's no different over the wire (internet).

Alienating people who were stealing from them, you mean.

FYI: Recording and distributing stuff 'free over the air' is illegal too. You probably hear/see this every week: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5263599_nfl-rebroadcast-rules.html

I think a good chunk of why people hate Metallica has everything to do with the fact they are rich, and their fans being not-rich. When the rich guys try to stop what appears to be petty theft to the not-rich, they shun them.

It is jealousy and envy, and nothing more.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take this personal - you are invalidating their claim based on legalistic style? Stealing = bad. Who cares about the artsy-fartsy justification provided to prosecute it?

I'm not invalidating their claims. Stealing = stealing, I agree. But to answer the question "Why do people hate Metallica?" I think their stated justification is a big reason.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To clarify, IMHO they alienated all their fans regarding the downloading music debacle.
If I understand correctly, we all concur.
I never used Napster or similar program.

WalkerBulldog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a good chunk of why people hate Metallica has everything to do with the fact they are rich, and their fans being not-rich. When the rich guys try to stop what appears to be petty theft to the not-rich, they shun them.

It is jealousy and envy, and nothing more.

I think it more has to do with the fact that things like Napster and peer-to-peer networks were up and running long enough to create the idea of a vast, free wilderness-like internet. Where everything you want or need can be had for free with little to no work. Then when people started to actually care about making money on the internet, the old vanguard of Usenet and AOL 1.0 grognards combined with 13 year old "l33t speaking haxxors" started to throw a hissy fit about the purity and sanctity of their precious internet being turned into a corporate tool for profits, and that information should be free. Tempers flare, words are said, some college kids and a granny get sued by the RIAA. Eventually the neck beards retreated into the seedy underbelly of the internet, and the 13 year olds are now grown up into hipsters who buy into every product Apple poops out, ironically. And everyone remembers that, oh yeah, James Hetfield is kind of a jerk.

Personally, I don't hate Metallica. I just don't like their new stuff. But then again, I've always been big on The Rolling Stones, Southern Rock and Blues.

As an aside, I've noticed the same people who write off Metallica because of their stance on music piracy are also the guys with the big anti-RIAA and anti-MPAA stickers and slogans. They're all just a bunch of idiots who think anything anyone makes should be shared with the rest of the world for free. "Ideas are free!" "Information is free!" Those guys.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's complete irony... Metallic was a niche, hardly known band for three albums. They encouraged tape trading (1980's P2P sharing) which in turn allowed them momentum to launch justice for all... Then when modern P2P sharing started (1980's tape trading) they called foul...

I've put them in the same class as SAOD, RATM, Green Day, Weezer, ect... Great music, bad politics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom