Why do you carry a revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reliability? Ease of use? Nostalgia?

Seems like the capacity and reload disadvantages would hinder this choice, but I'm sure there are some that still prefer a wheel gun.
Whoever told you I carry a revolver was lying to you.

The wife and I both carry revolvers. I enjoy reloading and don’t like chasing brass. It’s hard to find in the grass on our property.

tfrom675

New to the site!
Reaction score
I don't know if I'll ever need my revolver for self defense, but I KNOW I enjoy every second of handling it. First gun so I didn't want the trouble of training for malfunctions or vetting ammo to lessen them. Obviously if I were LE/Mil I would equip and train appropriately. I've hand loaded a few thousand rounds so far and love my revolver. "9mm" loads for self defense and super hot loads for the woods. Hoping S&W releases their lever gun in 357 mag this year. P.S. wax loads with just a primer is the goat for stupid fun plinking.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own 2 revolvers that I carry for self defense.

Smith and Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel length. This gun is always loaded with Remington's 158 gr. JHP ammunition...

Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel. This gun is always loaded with Remington's 125 gr. JHP ammunition...

Why revolvers? Accuracy is better than and semi-auto I have ever fired, and I have shot some very accurate pistols!

They NEVER jam!

A 357 magnum is a better one-shot-stop than any 9mm or .40 caliber semi-auto.

If it ever came down to a worse case scenario and I had to draw and fire my weapon to save my family and or innocent bystanders, I would rather do it with a revolver.

This is strictly personal preference and nothing else!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own 2 revolvers that I carry for self defense.

Smith and Wesson 686 with a 6" barrel length. This gun is always loaded with Remington's 158 gr. JHP ammunition...

Ruger GP-100 with a 6" barrel. This gun is always loaded with Remington's 125 gr. JHP ammunition...

Why revolvers? Accuracy is better than and semi-auto I have ever fired, and I have shot some very accurate pistols!

They NEVER jam!

A 357 magnum is a better one-shot-stop than any 9mm or .40 caliber semi-auto.

If it ever came down to a worse case scenario and I had to draw and fire my weapon to save my family and or innocent bystanders, I would rather do it with a revolver.

This is strictly personal preference and nothing else!

Plus, you ain't gotta pick up your brass! :woohoo1:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been carrying nothing but a five round S&W 442 .38 Spl. in my right front pocket for many years....never leave home without it.

442.jpg

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend brought another point to me on this subject.
A: Perp enters residence and you are awakened. You grab your revolver! As he enters your bedroom you realize the threat, you squeeze the trigger only to find the gun didn't go off. (no round in cylinder or bad load/primer?) You squeeze again, cylinder rotates to new round, and problem is solved. 1/4 of a second elapsed time if you were going to double tap, 1 second if not.
B: Perp enters residence and you are awakened. You grab your autoloader? As he enters your bedroom you realize the threat, you squeeze the trigger only to find the gun didn't go off. (no charged round in barrel, bad primer, dirty gun, slide didn't close all the way charging, trigger wouldn't pull because safety on.) In a panic you change gun from right (dominant) hand to left (weak) hand, throwing the palm of your right hand to the side of the slide on the gun in an attempt to hit the "FORWARD I SH_T BUTTON" that hasn't been developed yet on autoloading handguns. (This is for real because you are now on your heels back peddling). You now try to rack the slide, chamber a round, only to find the magazine wasn't in all the way because you bumped the eject button on something in the drawer getting it out. Perp can't contain laughter as he finishes a beer from your fridge and coughs Twinkey crumbs on your self-soiled body. He takes weapon from you and spends next 12 minutes beating you to death with a light, aluminum and plastic gun that cracked on first impact. Elapsed time of this odd musical best be timed by metronome.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been carrying nothing but a five round S&W 442 .38 Spl. in my right front pocket for many years....never leave home without it.

View attachment 459405
Perfect!!!!!!!! Easy to put in/out of multiple types of pockets. More likely to NOT have any issues with cycling/firing warm hollow point ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom