Why we gotta have this forum-on-forum hate?: Thread about okshooters on opencarry.org

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a time that I took quite a bit of training from credible instructors. One still comes through H and H from time to time. Never once did I hear them advocate Open Carry. They did advocate a stealth lifestyle. Their advice may have changed in the last few years. But, I doubt it. There I came out against it. Add that to the statistic.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a very good accredited instructor in open carry. He took us through a myriad of scenarios, and he made sure that we learned. The best part, I was paid for it! I'm trying to remember his name, it was STAFF Sargeant something or other.......The point that I'm trying to make is that you can talk about credible instructors all day long, but in the end it's all about common sense and no matter what you chose, your ultimately responsible. And as far as instructors go, there was one this past week in Ohio( I believe?) that was giving a firearms safety class and accidentally discharged his .38 revolver, the round ricocheted of his desk and struck his student in the arm. It happens, right? Well, in 1977, this guy was on a hay ride, accidental discharge, and he struck a teenage girl in the leg. And if you go to places like gunsite, all the Instructors are wearing their pistols in a thigh holster ( or some type of OC holster), so if CC is such a tactical advantage, why don't they do it at the class? But that's not to say that CC isn't the best solution for individuals, it's up to each person to make the decision for themselves.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sample size of 21 posters in a single thread vs sample size of 1,374/1,982 posters?

Plus your math on your own sample is wrong.

1 "harshly opposed" = 4.76%
1 "opposed" = 4.76%
11 "indifferent" = 52.38%
8 "pro" = 38.10%

(Total may not equal 100% due to rounding. Also note that only 2 of the 15 from the last 30 days in my sample have posted in this thread so far.)

Even using your numbers with correct math (which is to your benefit), only 9.52% are "opposed" to open carry, but keep in mind that is limited to a single thread that spans a very insignificant amount of time.

Still, 9.52% is hardly a significant amount. And it's definitely not a large enough subset of a group to paint an entire group and organization as being against open carry.

Based on logins within the last 30 days and assuming a 95% confidence level, your 9.52% is within the 12.51% margin of error, which means even though you found 9.52% of a sample of 21 posters was "opposed", if the sample had been of the active users within past 30 days it could still be statistically 0%. Even if we use logins since this thread started, you still have a 12.43% margin of error. Thread views gets you a margin of error of 12.49%. Total posts leading up to yours is still a margin of error of 10.89%.

My first sample of 1,374 with a 95% confidence level yields a margin of error of 0.38%. My second 90 day sample with a 95% confidence level yields a margin of error of 0.32%

So, which polling company do I need to avoid hiring?

first thank you for fixing my math,

now back to my original original statement with you fixing the math. i ask you; of the posters opposed , what percentage are harshly opposed?
i await your answer before answering your question .

again i don't argue your math .
elance

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a very good accredited instructor in open carry. He took us through a myriad of scenarios, and he made sure that we learned. The best part, I was paid for it! I'm trying to remember his name, it was STAFF Sargeant something or other.......The point that I'm trying to make is that you can talk about credible instructors all day long, but in the end it's all about common sense and no matter what you chose, your ultimately responsible. And as far as instructors go, there was one this past week in Ohio( I believe?) that was giving a firearms safety class and accidentally discharged his .38 revolver, the round ricocheted of his desk and struck his student in the arm. It happens, right? Well, in 1977, this guy was on a hay ride, accidental discharge, and he struck a teenage girl in the leg. And if you go to places like gunsite, all the Instructors are wearing their pistols in a thigh holster ( or some type of OC holster), so if CC is such a tactical advantage, why don't they do it at the class? But that's not to say that CC isn't the best solution for individuals, it's up to each person to make the decision for themselves.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to relay here. I see you read the recent news about some guy accidentally shooting someone twice but I don't really see how that applies here.

I asked for someone that is a proponent of OC to reference training for OC situations. Again, I'd like to know if someone locally is teaching OC carry scenarios, especially concerning CQB, retention etc.

For the statisticians, I'm not opposed to OC, like others I think it has it's time and place in terms of preparing yourself for self defense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom