Will public facilities be able to restrict open carry only?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Public" is a euphamism for "government run." Those buildings are off limits altogether under the law. For pivate property, regardless of who is invited there, it is up to the property owner what is allowed there (with the exception of some laws that infringe on this right).

Not all "Public" buildings are off limits. See below. My understanding is that public buildings such as buildings at the park, local fairgrounds etc aren't off limits unless otherwise posted. Just those used for conducting business with the public. Such as courthouses and city hall. I know most fall into this category but not all .gov buildings are for purpose of doing business with public. Some are simply for public use/consumption/enjoyment.

TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to
the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following
places:
1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or
federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;
2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative
members, or any other elected or appointed officials;
3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons,
prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;
4. Any elementary or secondary school;
5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;
6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and
7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

nandb

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed the Warren theatre in Moore has already changed there signs to say "open carry prohibited." So does that mean they now permit concealed carry? Their previous sign prohibited concealed carry which made me significantly limit giving them my business.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed the Warren theatre in Moore has already changed there signs to say "open carry prohibited." So does that mean they now permit concealed carry? Their previous sign prohibited concealed carry which made me significantly limit giving them my business.

Originally, The Warren Theater allowed concealed carry. After the passage of the open carry legislation, they put up "No guns" signs. Mr. Warren and his staff were under the impression that the state would authorize appropriate signage. I (and possibly others) contacted them and let them know the state did not authorize signage and they could use any language or sign they wanted to convey the owners intent. They then decided to remove the "No guns" signs and have the new "No open carry" signs made and put up. I would have preferred them not to put any signage up at all, but it is their choice.

Mr. Warren is a concealed permit holder himself and has never had a problem with concealed carry at his theaters. From what I understand, they had the same problem in Kansas City when Kansas City got rid of their ordinance against open carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom