Winter blues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangeHound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually by this time of year I would have 1-2k of reloads done. It's just been too cold to go out and stand there. Maybe next week will be better, at least it will be in the 40's. I did finally get my primer backorder from PowderValley after 9 months so I am ready to go.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I bought a small building (12'x16') a couple of years ago and turned it into my reloading shack / man cave.
It's fully insulated and wired. I got heat and ac out there now also.
So I guess I'm a little better off than most.
But I did my fair share of relaoding in the garage over the years.
I got out a couple 2 or 3 weeks ago on a nice weekend and did some casting.
That plus the other stuff I did earlier has kept me busy so far.
I got out there last night and sized and lubed about 450 148gr WC last night.
Which is good because I have 450 rounds of 38spl brass sitting on the bench waiting to be loaded.
So I guess that's what I'll do while I'm snowed/iced in.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
days like today I'm cleaning and prepin my brass! I casted a few 100 boolit's the other day! lubed and sized a few hundred the other night so there ready to load now! just got my molds ready for some more casting as soon as the weather breaks.:thumb:

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primed up 600 9mm cases and then I ran outa primers.....charged and seated up 500 .40 then.....I ran outa bullets....Need to give the boys at J&K a call for more bullets. If I just had my 9mm load worked up I could fill all them primered cases.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do a lot of my reloading during the winter months as well, but lately i've been side tracked with some of my machining projects. I read about converting berdan primed cases to use boxer primers on another group and started experimenting with that. With the cases that use a berdan primer just slightly larger than the standard large rifle boxer primer, I made a die similiar to the RCBS die used with the primer pocket swager and a shell holder that accepts a steel ball from a ball bearing. By pressing the case against the steel ball, it deforms the base enough to hold a standard boxer primer. I have had to mill the anvil out of the primer pocket, and in some cases I have had to deepen the pocket slightly and drill the flash hole. (If I deform it too much, I just use a primer pocket swage to move it back to the correct diameter.) So far, just light loads to test the integrity of the brass after modification, but it seems to be feasible. I machined brass inserts to press into the pockets of some 8mm Lebel cases after removing the anvil and drilling the flash hole, and they seem to be working ok as well. I guess I could have loaded quite a few rounds in the time I have been working on this project, but its a learning experience. This is not practical where boxer primed cases are available, but in obsolete or un-available calibers it would give you a way to shoot.. anybody out there have some berdan primed brass cases they want to get rid of? Blitzfike

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tend to do quite a bit of reloading during inclement weather. If I can't get to the gun range or a match, then I might as well be preparing for one! :laugh6:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well over the last 5 days I've lubed and sized another 1000 or so .357 wc.
I've loaded several hundred rounds of said 38 spl wc.
I got out and loaded up 50 roounds of 257 roberts to use to site in that gun.
I loaded about 350 357 swc rounds.
Yesterday I goofed off and swapped out a couple scopes and bore sighted 3 rifles.

I could get use to this kept man thing.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom