Winter blues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I either need to:

A.) get richer and build a climate controlled shop
B.) build a quick mount for an inside desk (that wont mar the desk)

so I can reload in winter. My garage gets fraggin cold. Press bites on frozen digits hurts worse than press bites on warm digits.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaded up 700 .223 yesterday and am heading out to Sears to pick up an 8# of Bullseye to get going on my .45acp for this next year. This is the PERFECT weather to get our reloading done!

Oh, to keep up with OF, I cast 18,000 180gr. .40S&W yesterday! :Heya:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My garage gets fraggin cold. Press bites on frozen digits hurts worse than press bites on warm digits.

I experienced a few of those days myself.
I picked up a propane heater at Atwoods.
I'd go out and crank it up about a hour before I went out.
Worked good enough for me to get out of the house.

I put in a new garage door last year and went with the insulated version.
It made a huge difference on the temps out there.
My thought was I still go out there and piddle on things so it couldn't hurt.
One of the first things I did was double insulate the garage door on the man cave.
Strofoam sheets glued to the inside, made a big difference in both the winter and the summer.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do like I did and put in a 25,000 BTU LP heater then after the first time it gets real cold and you see the LP tank level drop like a rock you'll figure out a way to get loading in the house! LP this time of year ain't cheap. I'm drawing up plans for my loading room/man cave now so maybe this summer I can get things together. I've got to finish some projects first so I'll have the cash. Climate controled loading areas are nice! Later,

Kirk

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do a lot of my reloading during the winter months as well, but lately i've been side tracked with some of my machining projects. I read about converting berdan primed cases to use boxer primers on another group and started experimenting with that. With the cases that use a berdan primer just slightly larger than the standard large rifle boxer primer, I made a die similiar to the RCBS die used with the primer pocket swager and a shell holder that accepts a steel ball from a ball bearing. By pressing the case against the steel ball, it deforms the base enough to hold a standard boxer primer. I have had to mill the anvil out of the primer pocket, and in some cases I have had to deepen the pocket slightly and drill the flash hole. (If I deform it too much, I just use a primer pocket swage to move it back to the correct diameter.) So far, just light loads to test the integrity of the brass after modification, but it seems to be feasible. I machined brass inserts to press into the pockets of some 8mm Lebel cases after removing the anvil and drilling the flash hole, and they seem to be working ok as well. I guess I could have loaded quite a few rounds in the time I have been working on this project, but its a learning experience. This is not practical where boxer primed cases are available, but in obsolete or un-available calibers it would give you a way to shoot.. anybody out there have some berdan primed brass cases they want to get rid of? Blitzfike

If I haven't trashed them yet, I have some .308 brass and maybe 30-06,with berdan primer pockets. I'll look and see when I get home tonight. You can have it if I do.

I built a 16X30 metal building out back for my man cave, and have it partially insulated. Put a used LP central heat unit in one corner with a plenum to blow the air around the shop. On the really cold days I have one of the diesel fuel heater/blower that is 175000 BTU that is used to get the temp up to the mid 50's(about 10 minutes), and then the LP heater can keep up and get it up to about 70's. Makes it pretty comfortable, although my feet get really cold on the concrete.

Latest posts

Top Bottom