Would you let your Wife CC a .22 pistol? (Educated opinions only please)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it would be really bulky I think in the bra holster... She doesn't have HUGE boobs like the girls on the videos... She could conceal a J Frame or a LCP well... Hmmmmmm.... Maybe she could hide a CM9????

I think we should have some pictures to verify she couldn't carry a .44 mag in there.

In all honesty, carrying anything is better than carrying nothing. For those that say it will just turn a carjacker into a killer, let her shoot him in the face and see if the .22 doesn't sting enough for her to get away. A .22 can and will kick a lot of things, sometimes it just takes a couple of shots. If she is comfortable, "let" her carry what she wants.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- carrying any gun is better than nothing
- a lot of my remington .22 cartridges misfire
- bullet placement is important
- per a study i read, about any caliber, it did not mention .17, but .22 thru .45, a bullet to head or spinal column, or heart pretty much kills - one shot. a bullet anywhere else then predictions are hard to make.
- A guy who i trust told me that recently a tulsa LEO shot a guy 9 times and he lived. That is 9 times with a Glock 22, 40 caliber HP. So a larger caliber does not ALWAYS mean protection.
- Women sometimes are different than men. Some women, even with training and understanding of the risk, just do not want to shoot anything bigger than a .22. I have seen it and cannot fully understand it. I think some women place being comfortable above anything else. Until you have seen a student start shaking so bad that they cannot shoot or put down the pistol, even at a paper target, or a women student come to you while shooting and say, "I just can't do this, i have to leave." and hand you the gun, it is hard to understand the complexities of a woman. Now, I am not privy it they got more training or not, probably if they would except more training they could work thru this, but my point is that i believe that you have to let a woman make up her own mind. If a woman is carrying a larger caliber and really does not want to shoot it, not confident with the gun, cannot hit the target, then what good is it? On the other hand, a .22 with several cartridges and she can handle it and hit the target and wants to carry that gun - hard call.
- My advice is have your wife shoot as many guns as she can. I have found that many can handle a 9mm pretty accurately and don't mind the recoil.
- I have a class called Firearms For Women where women shoot 14 diff sizes and calibers of handguns with other women. When they are done with the class, a woman can tell you what gun they don't want to shoot and what gun or guns they think they can handle. Sometimes a woman seeing other women shoot and manage a larger gun will encourage them to try a larger caliber and then find out they can shoot it.
- If you are interested in my classes - go to my web site www.firearmsontarget.com.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would and do, in spite of the down side, power & reliability, which I am fully aware of and in agreement with. Let us face one fact, while I agree that many, if not most women COULD, with proper training, operate a more powerful weapon, a large number really just arn't that interested in firearms. For these I firmly believe that a 22 is much better then nothing, and yes, I would, and have carried one. And if I might, the old 9 shot H&R 929 with 2 1/2 inch barrel ( the 2 1/2 had a small round grip) makes an excellent purse gun for a woman.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
absolutely I would...better than a rock or a stick. May not be ideal but it would get the job done and my heritage 22 mag she is way too accurate with. Kinda scary sometimes.

I list the heritage specific as it is the only 22 pistol we have. There are several out there that are solid.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is the answer your looking for...

1.) Incapacitation is not achieved by caliber
2.) Rimfires are prone to fail to fire due to design. ( Moreso than centerfires)

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You cannot deney either. That's the facts Jack. If that's what she likes then by all means...let here carry it. But once she gets serious about self protection...she will move on up in caliber and fall into the 9mm vs. .45acp world we all live in. Haha

J

John X

The idea of "letting" my wife do anything kind of makes me laugh, as she does what she wants, when she wants. As do I.

That said, whatever she'd be most comfortable carrying is what I'd suggest she carry. The .22 she might want to carry, is comfortable with, and competent with is a lot better than the .44 Mag she'd never carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom