Wyoming proposes law defying potential assault weapon ban

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I think the spirit of this law is great but be advised that there is a long trrack record of SCOTUS decisions that extend the Commerce Clause to a whole heck of a lot more than "goods that actually cross borders". In fact, there are very few decisions in the last 50 years that limit almost any exercise of the Commerce Clause. The two that come to mind are US v Lopez and the more recent Affordable Health Care Act challenge. In each of those cases there very quick work-arounds "discovered".

So effectively the 10th amendment is dead? That's comforting.

tulsamal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the quickest path to civil war. Oklahoma rejecting the health care act is one thing, but arresting federal agents attempting to regulate firearms... is the gateway to an armed conflict.

I don't think so. If various states can sell pot or legalize it like Colorado... it seems like a possible answer. Federal law enforcement types are thin on the ground in most states. The FBI isn't going to stop me for a speeding ticket and then arrest me for having a "high capacity magazine" in my carry gun. I'm 51 years old and I've only had to deal with an FBI agent once in my whole life. So if the states basically tell the Feds, "It's your law, lets see you enforce it," that has potential. Same thing happened in many parts of the country during Prohibition. Or the last year of the Federally mandated 55 mph speed limit. People just ignored these Federal laws because they realized they weren't going to get arrested for violating them.

IMO, it has a lot more potential than individuals here and there barricading themselves into their houses and shooting the local deputy. The individual can be depicted in the news as some "survivalist nut case." Entire states formally notifying the Feds that they refuse to go along with their unconstitutional laws is quite another.

Gregg

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may be the best way to combat the latest spate of overreach by the Feds. I'll be forwarding the article to my legislators, and asking for a similar bil here. My gut says that this is where Fallin might draw the line on drawing the line, and veto. Who knows though. Any of you guys with buddies at the Capitol heard any murmurs on anything like this here?

Latest posts

Top Bottom