Yeast.......do u store it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rapid rise yeast will keep much longer after the expiration date if stored in the freezer. If it's really old you may have to use more than what the recipe calls for but it will still work. I've used it from the freezer I know 3 years after the expiration date and it worked just fine.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the single use packets are sealed, they are going to last longer than the jar of it. I bake a lot of bread & after a year, I have to add more yeast to get the same result (even storing it in the fridge). The single packets in the freezer would probably be your best bet to store it, but it certainly isn't going to be one of those long-term things.
I'm really short and anything in the cabinet above the stove goes there to die because I can never see it...I have found and used singe use packets stored in the cabinet for 2 years & they worked just fine...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since the single use packets are sealed, they are going to last longer than the jar of it. I bake a lot of bread & after a year, I have to add more yeast to get the same result (even storing it in the fridge). The single packets in the freezer would probably be your best bet to store it, but it certainly isn't going to be one of those long-term things.
I'm really short and anything in the cabinet above the stove goes there to die because I can never see it...I have found and used singe use packets stored in the cabinet for 2 years & they worked just fine...

:rollingla Me, too!!

All of the above posts are pretty much spot on ... I've used yeast that has been stored in the freezer for 5 years (but threw in a little extra for good measure) and it's worked fine.

You might also consider keeping a sourdough starter. It has to be fed regularly (like all live critters) but it will always be there when you need it ... I've had several sourdough starters over the years (all I started myself with varying degrees of success). Now I've decided to quit piddling around with wild yeasts here and just order a SF starter off Amazon. Those starters, from what I've read, have distinct flavors (nothing I've been able to reproduce with wild yeasts here in Oklahoma) and a lot more "bounce" (again, nothing I've been able to reproduce with any kind of consistency with yeasts floating around here in Oklahoma). Granted, I was trying to harvest wild yeast in the driest few years we've had on record, but still ... I WANT a SF starter ... so these are my excuses ... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom