Yo!!! Watch What You Are Eating...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there are some here who own farms or livestock. What is your opinion on Big Ag companies like ADM and Cargill? It seems those are the companies that are basically mass producing junk and lobby congress so they can claim their corn syrup loaded stuff is still healthy for people.

Does the average small or medium scale farmer have a financial gain from those companies existing?

They produce garbage, paid for with food stamps. The food makes people fat and sick, requiring healthcare, paid for with Medicare. The same companies producing the food also own a controlling stake in the pharmaceutical companies. It basically amounts to the fleecing of the taxpayer, (who also eats garbage) to put money in the pockets of large international conglomerates.

The USDA and FDA mainly exist to create regulations beneficial to large corporations and detrimental to small farms. This also works to destroy small rural communities and the food web, (not to mention soil health)

Now bear in mind I am a micro scale urban hobbiest, but the best I can raise a chicken for is about $15-20, a chick cost about $3, it is gonna take about 12 pounds of feed to raise it to 5 lbs organic feed is like $25 for 50 lbs plus labor, plus electricity on the heat and lights, plus electricity for the freezer, water for processing. Chicken at the store is like $5-8 which in my mind is impossible with simply economy of scale.

I think if people really knew about how the food system actually works we would be stacking bodies. What is happening is criminal.

I do suggest reading Joe Salatin, "Folks this ain't normal" and "everything I want to do is illegal"

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I eat potatoes and eggs for breakfast almost every day! Over 1000 eggs a year

Organic potatoes I grew, eggs from my own chickens (as long as the girls are not lazy)!

I attempt to grow the feed for the chickens.
Organic wapsie valley field corn. I never tested it, but am betting it has 2 times the protien of "big ag" hybrids.
Been experimenting with growing sunflowers for chicken feed.

Planted buckwheat this year to help the soil in a field, but did not get to harvest any of it, was going to see how the chickens did with it. ☹️
All my kitchen scraps go in to the chickens except for bones.

I've been reading ingredient labels for some time, and it sure has changed my eating habbits.

Hersheys started putting pgpr in their producs, I stopped eating hersheys.

Cereals have bht now (butylated hydroxy toluene), I dont knowingly consume stuff with BHT.

Quit drinking things that contain

Sodium Benzoate.

I have a grain mill and like grinding my own grains.
Last Saturday I made peanut butter cookies with the whole wheat flour I raised and ground, and with my eggs from chickens that ate my corn.
I only buy natural peanut butter.

Raising grains without a combine is real work!!! Lol

I like things made with whole simple ingredients!

I have raised meat chickens.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Organic potatoes I grew, eggs from my own chickens (as long as the girls are not lazy)!

Organic wapsie valley field corn. I never tested it, but am betting it has 2 times the protien of "big ag" hybrids.

Planted buckwheat this year to help the soil in a field, but did not get to harvest any of it, was going to see how the chickens did with it. ☹️

I've been reading ingredient labels for some time, and it sure has changed my eating habbits.

Cereals have bht now (butylated hydroxy toluene), I dont knowingly consume stuff with BHT.

Sodium Benzoate.

Last Saturday I made peanut butter cookies with the whole wheat flour I raised and ground, and with my eggs from chickens that ate my corn.

Based!

Try painted mountain corn, it is a hard flour corn grows great about 60 days. It originated from this dude in Northern ID growing corn in the rockies, he traveled south America looking for indigenous strains. I think I have some seed if you want it, I was working on selecring a all red strain from it. Oats grow pretty easy (or at least they did in the NW) and you can just let the birds harvest them. But yea grain is no joke, I have grown small patches a few times and just let the hens eat it dispute having hand crank and electric mills.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They produce garbage, paid for with food stamps. The food makes people fat and sick, requiring healthcare, paid for with Medicare. The same companies producing the food also own a controlling stake in the pharmaceutical companies. It basically amounts to the fleecing of the taxpayer, (who also eats garbage) to put money in the pockets of large international conglomerates.

The USDA and FDA mainly exist to create regulations beneficial to large corporations and detrimental to small farms. This also works to destroy small rural communities and the food web, (not to mention soil health)

Now bear in mind I am a micro scale urban hobbiest, but the best I can raise a chicken for is about $15-20, a chick cost about $3, it is gonna take about 12 pounds of feed to raise it to 5 lbs organic feed is like $25 for 50 lbs plus labor, plus electricity on the heat and lights, plus electricity for the freezer, water for processing. Chicken at the store is like $5-8 which in my mind is impossible with simply economy of scale.

I think if people really knew about how the food system actually works we would be stacking bodies. What is happening is criminal.

I do suggest reading Joe Salatin, "Folks this ain't normal" and "everything I want to do is illegal"
👍well said.
Under Don we produced chicken much cheaper. There's a thread with cost per bird and or lb.
Under joe 🤬.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sodium Benzoate.

👍 I attempted to grow some grains this last year, but with the drought it was a failure. I purchased a grain mill here on the board a couple years ago. It is work, but that work burns calories

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My lovely wife makes mac and cheese with great value sliced block cheese .
The other evening she made mac and cheese and was talking about the change . I said you mean this isn't boxed stuff ? Wow, definitely something strange, we didn't notice it eating grilled cheese and tomato soup .

Latest posts

Top Bottom