Your kids have cell phones ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, our 11 year old has one. And ooohhhh let me tell you how powerful this is as a tool because the last thing a kid wants to be grounded from is their link to the rest of the world! Also being able to see where they are via the GPS is pretty cool too.

I thought it was pretty silly at first but it really made things easier for everyone.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our daughter is 7 and already asking for a phone. We told her that she doesn't need one, because she is always with one of us, or a grand parent or other family member. Wife and I have actually talked about it, but probably not for a couple more years when she starts going to other freinds' houses or on trips for school, extra curricular activities. Somehow I doubt we will make it to 10 before she has a phone.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never had one until I started driving, but they weren't omnipresent like they are now.

I used to think it was stupid for kids to have cell phones, but my nieces have them, and now they seem like a pretty good safety measure when they reach the age they start going places without parents, or are staying home alone after school, etc.

URSHARKB8

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our girl is about to turn 10. we are going to go ahead and get her one anyways.
A just in case reason, you knpw, practice finishes early or sudden canx for whatever. She walks home from school with lil bro, granted we live literally 1000 feet from it, but if we dont make it home before they do, we can call her or vice versa.
. tmobile is pretty cheap to add a line and phone. She hasnt even asked for one yet either!!!

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No cell phone for my kids. They both want one, but I don't see the point. They have the house phone if they want to make a call. My oldest has the ability to earn one, but so far she's fallen short. Personally, if my work didn't issue me one, I wouldn't have one. It's a leash, and I don't need to be tethered. I miss the days before cell phones, and they've been popular most of my life (I'm 36).

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No cell phone for my kids. They both want one, but I don't see the point. They have the house phone if they want to make a call. My oldest has the ability to earn one, but so far she's fallen short. Personally, if my work didn't issue me one, I wouldn't have one. It's a leash, and I don't need to be tethered. I miss the days before cell phones, and they've been popular most of my life (I'm 36).

chrisblattman.com_files_2011_07_facebook_like_button_big1.jpg_bb5a87bf278fa8d0df43801bcdaa57d2.jpg

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son (15) has his own. His line is a $9.99 add-on to my plan. Unlimited text and mobile to mobile. Shares my minutes on other calls. No web. Also put the "purchase blocker" on all the phones in my plan. He had web access for a week .... always on, too easy for him to purchase items (ringtones, etc) and have them billed to cell so I cancelled that rather quick. Getting to keep his phone is tied to grades, as well as fulfilling his responsibilities around the house. Works out well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom