Zero Turn mower reviews - help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family is wanting to purchase a zero turn mower for my mother-in-laws 8 acres.

Has anyone had any bad experiences? Do you have any recommendations for one. She does not want a really big deck (maybe a 60" or so).

Thanks guys

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everides are a good brand. They are built like a tank. I believe the guy that started Everide came from Exmark. The mowers both have about the same build quality from what I can see but the Everide is infinitely simpler. There are no springs or funky park brakes. There are still safety switches they are just simple. The deck on it is fabbed .250" plate. I mow 5.5 acres with mine and I mow it in about 2.5 hours. Been mowing it since the summer of 2007. I think I may have 280 hours on mine. I tend to use it like and ATV to move stuff around the yard also.

Good luck with your quest.
http://www.everride.com/html/home/index.asp

Whatever brand you get , if you don't end up with a diesel make sure and get the Kawasaki Motor. I have seen the Exmarks with over 3000 hours on the Kawi motors.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to sell them (along with other things) for a living. If I were getting one, I'd be sure that it had the following:

1. hydro-static transmission
2. Husquavarna or Toro or a good quality brand.
3. Be sure that it is comfortable, AND that it can fit through any gates that you might have.
4. Check to make sure that it can take any of the attachments that you would want to put on it.
5. Also plan for shipping and handling and delivery. Those things came in huge wooden crates that you'd have to break down, and of course, they weight a ton (or more).

Just some things to think about. I'll try my best to answer any questions that you might have.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. My dad had purchased a grasshopper but it only had about 20 hours on it when he died, and I never even mowed with it. I did set on it and it was comfortable, but I don't think she is wanting to spend that kind of money.

I've talked to a guy that has a Hustler Super Z for sale at a pretty good price. The mower has somewhere around 1300 hours on it, but the engine was replaced about 100 hours ago. The guy says it runs good with no issues, but it is still a lot of money.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eight full acres of turf grass can take a long time to mow with a ZTM with a deck 5' or less in width. I used to mow 3 acres of turf grass with a ZTM that had a 60" deck, and it took me more than two hours since the back yard has a lot of trees. My neighbor mows seven acres with a similar ZTM, and it takes him half a day to get it all done. I switched to a compact utility tractor with a 72" finish mower, and I can now mow my yard in about 1.5 hours, even with the trees. The extra width significantly knocks down the number of back-forth passes. I use the tractor to move dirt and logs as well, hence the switch, but I still would try to get as big a mower deck as possible if sticking with a ZTM.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are several good brands but the good ones are costly. Commercial grade are expensive but will perform the best over time. I went with a Hustler.

Latest posts

Top Bottom