Zero Turn mower reviews - help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several good brands but the good ones are costly. Commercial grade are expensive but will perform the best over time. I went with a Hustler.

I echo what he said about going with a commercial grade mower, my choice was a Scag, and I haven't been disappointed in the least.

Last edited:

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't go with a commercial grade mower, you will probably regret it. It the "pay me now, or pay me later" scenario. We have a couple of Scags and they have runs great for years and appear to able to go on for a lot longer. We have done nothing but change oil and sharpen blades.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Osage, a cheap zero turn will not last long mowing 8 acres!!

I switched to a zero turn several years ago, I looked at everything that was available in the Tulsa area (Hustler, Skag, Bad Boy, Dixon, Cub Cadet, Toro, ExMark, GrassHopper, Dixie Chopper, etc). I researched them down to the component level for pumps, drive motors, cooling system, deck strength etc. I bought a Hustler and the Bad Boy was a very close second (Hustler steering was a bit better on the models I was considering).

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I mow 5+ acres with a Bad Boy ZTR.

28 Hp engine, 60" deck. Takes me 1.8 hrs on the hour meter and we have 40+ trees on the place.
This will be my 4th year with it, and it has had 0 mechanical issues.

I've had a badboy with a 72" cut and a 35hp cat diesel for 6 years or so it mowed between 3 and 7 acres a week and I have zero complaints. It's been mostly change the oil every year fuel it up and go mow but I did ruin 1 spindle on the deck. I take the blame for that one.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Hustler Super Duty and love it. I bought the 54" deck so I could get through gates into the backyards of my rental properties. I'm not really mowing my rentals anymore. If I decide to upgrade to something larger in a few years, I'd probably get another Hustler or a Ferris for the full suspension.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a gravely 3 years ago and have zero complaints and issues, I usually mow 2 acres weekly and another 2 monthly(edgeing around my fence line and field gates and such. When I mow the fields I use a JD 30hp deisel tractor with a 6ft jd brushhog. Whatever you get, get a kawasaki engine, a welded deck and hydrostatic drives that are rebuildable. Kubota's are great but they're literally built like a tank and are really pricey.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scag.....high quality and built like a tank. My maintenance crew runs them 8 hours a day, 5 days a week from May-September. Been through Toro, Hustler, and Bobcat Z's, no comparison!

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a Farris I love the springs for the ride had mine 3-4 years ,only gas , oil& filter changes & blades.

I also have a Farris, have used it for 3 years with no problems and really like the springs. However I was talking with a dealer and he told me about a rear discharge mower that he was selling. I know that he sold Dixons and another brand, so I,m not sure which is rear discharge. If I were buying new this year I would seriously consider the rear discharge to cut down on the trash and dirt you get on the operator with a side discharge when the wind is blowing. As you know the wind blows most of the time in Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom