10fp build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm gonna build a Savage 10fp centerfeed short action rifle. Thought I might go through it with you guys.

I bought a factory heavy barrel for cheap on another forum with less than 100rds through it. I then found the action and got it. Got the action with a 20moa Ken Farrel base on it. At this point, I have less than $400 in this project.
ai54.tinypic.com_2aeph5y.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_2uqzr85.gif

I've got a 308 go-gauge already. I've got a Choate tactical stock, CDI BDM, and AICS mag coming. Ordered a new heavy recoil lug and tactical (longer) bolt handle form Srockade. I already installed a bolt lift kit in the bolt. Trigger has been adjusted. I will post more pics as I progress and get parts in. Hopefully it will be something that you guys enjoy and inspire some others to build their own rifles.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
looks like a good start. if you have any savage questions, head over to savageshooters.com and ask away there. There are plenty of howto's if you need help.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since it's already apart, you might think about throwing a different barrel on it. Shilen makes drop in barrels for the Savage. However, they are almost as much as you have in the gun total so far.

You could also have the action blue-printed/trued since it's apart too.

Just food for thought. Even if you just put it together, it should be a good shooter regardless, though.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I am already a member of Savageshooters. Lots of good information on that sight and tons of Savage parts come acrossed there.

I would love to put a Shilen or other aftermarket barrel on it, but it's going to be a budget LR rifle. If the wait wasn't so long, it would go to SSS for the action job. I may send it to Stockade instead, but I'm not sure. I think I've just about got all my parts here, minus the stock and BDM. I'll be posting more pics as I progress through the gun build. Thanks for the input fellas.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool, I just finished up a budget 250 savage AI, A&B barrel, stocky thumb hole stock, & Stevens action. Have a lg nob bolt handle to put on it. Still working on a load Have about 400-450 in the rifle dies on the otherhand wow.

Let us know how she shoots. All my savages shoot better than I do

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I am already a member of Savageshooters. Lots of good information on that sight and tons of Savage parts come acrossed there.

I would love to put a Shilen or other aftermarket barrel on it, but it's going to be a budget LR rifle. If the wait wasn't so long, it would go to SSS for the action job. I may send it to Stockade instead, but I'm not sure. I think I've just about got all my parts here, minus the stock and BDM. I'll be posting more pics as I progress through the gun build. Thanks for the input fellas.

Nice project - sounds like you're on a good path.

That Savage barrel should be fine - I would definitely (since you've already got it torn down) send it for an action-job and possibly a re-crown/chamber-ream. Steve Baldwin here in Jones, OK doesn't have nearly the wait and I've got two rifles with his blue-print job and couldn't be happier.

He can also get you a good deal on Hart Barrels (his installed price was less than I could order a blank online) if you want to go that route.

Which Choate stock do you have? I would reconsider if you're looking at the Ultimate Sniper Stock unless you're planning on using Marine-Tex or something to bed it.

Their QC isn't that great on the USS and the aluminum bedding block has been known to be uneven and need cleaning up in a lot of cases (also, the plastic parts of the stock will often contact the receiver unevenly - be sure to clean up any places where you see contact like that if you stick with the USS).

I personally like this B&C for a budget stock:

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-110/Bell-Carlson-tactical-700/Detail

I've got one and its lightweight and is as well made as my HS Precision (that I paid too much for :( ).

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool. It should be a good shooter for sure. I did a similar thing for a budget shooter. Mine is just an off-the-shelf 12fv in .223. Still out-shoots me with good ammo.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10 fp with 24" barrel and have tried many different combos of bullets and brass...It likes a few of them ...i like my factory barrel and i have sent around 300 rounds down it...With different brands and lengths of brass it will still shoot the 165gk hpbt under 3/4"...on windy days...I will soon be playing with neck tension and diameter....I have a lot of flat nose 30-30 bullets in .307" diameter and with them i shoot 3 shot groups all in the same hole at 60 yards....they open up to .990 or so at 110 yards..that is with mixed brass also...
You should have plenty of fun with it..I use mine for deer hunting

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the Choate tactical stock. I had a USS on my 7mag Savage and it was flexing in the front section. It did not stay around very long. I bought this one used and it was already inletted for a cdi bdm. It will get skim bedded and thoroughly checked prior to putting everything together.

The barrel will get recrowned and it will threaded will a brake installed, mostly for cosmetics, plus I plan on having it ready for a can! I was going to get a b&c stock, however stocky's had to order it and I simply did not want to wait the 6 weeks to get it shipped to me. I may regret it later, but it will be another lesson learned if it does not perform to my standards!

I should have everything today, minus scope and rings!

If it doesn't shoot sub-MOA at 100yds then there will have to be more modifications. I have some more pics of the bolt lift kit and I will get them posted here shortly for anybody that is interested in doing this. I got my new bolt knob and recoil lug from Stockade yesterday and I have to take pics of it and get them posted as well. I have indexed the barrel so the brake can be timed right and I got the barrel sent off to my guy to do the work. I still have to order duracoat to paint the action and stock. I'm going to go with an OD/black setup. Planning on painting the bolt handle, brake, recoil lug, and stock OD, then paint the action/barrel and rest of the parts black. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have the ultimate sniper on mine but wish I would have went with the tactical. The function is fine I just don't like the looks....

It's the Choate tactical stock. I had a USS on my 7mag Savage and it was flexing in the front section. It did not stay around very long. I bought this one used and it was already inletted for a cdi bdm. It will get skim bedded and thoroughly checked prior to putting everything together.

The barrel will get recrowned and it will threaded will a brake installed, mostly for cosmetics, plus I plan on having it ready for a can! I was going to get a b&c stock, however stocky's had to order it and I simply did not want to wait the 6 weeks to get it shipped to me. I may regret it later, but it will be another lesson learned if it does not perform to my standards!

I should have everything today, minus scope and rings!

If it doesn't shoot sub-MOA at 100yds then there will have to be more modifications. I have some more pics of the bolt lift kit and I will get them posted here shortly for anybody that is interested in doing this. I got my new bolt knob and recoil lug from Stockade yesterday and I have to take pics of it and get them posted as well. I have indexed the barrel so the brake can be timed right and I got the barrel sent off to my guy to do the work. I still have to order duracoat to paint the action and stock. I'm going to go with an OD/black setup. Planning on painting the bolt handle, brake, recoil lug, and stock OD, then paint the action/barrel and rest of the parts black. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom