18" AR with rifle gas length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe those are called dissipators. I considered one but settled on a mid length setup. Supposed to have less recoil and if you use iron sights you have a longer distance between sights for better accuracy.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe those are called dissipators. I considered one but settled on a mid length setup. Supposed to have less recoil and if you use iron sights you have a longer distance between sights for better accuracy.

According to Bushmaster a dissipator is actually a carbine gas system with rifle length hand guards over it to increase sight radius.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I learned something new. Palmetto was calling their carbine length barrels with rifle length systems dissipators at one point.

The original design was a rifle length gas system on a shorter barrel. Reliability problems surfaced, but to keep the long sight radius and reliability, sometimes longer rails over short carbine or midlength gas systems are used.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That will be one smooth sob in my opinion.

If you were to select a carbine extension then I might suggest playing with the buffer weights some would help with recoil/BCG cycle speed.
While there should be zero issues with the carbine extension, If you decide to put a collapsible stock on it I would suggest a Vltor A5 system.

I'll bring mine tomorrow :thumbup3:

CriterionBarrels

New to the site!
Reaction score
Got a stripped upper on the way and now looking at barrels. One I'm considering is criterion hybrid contour 18" with rifle gas length.

Any one use 18" with rifle gas? Any issues or special thing need be done to make it run?

Anyone shoot criterion AR barrels?

This will be my 1st Time where I assemble the upper

Sent via message in a bottle

Good afternoon,

You can find some reviews for this barrel on both the Criterion and Brownells website.

http://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15-hybrid

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-criterion-barrels-prod54733.aspx

The particular model you are describing should require minimal break-in, but we have outlined some suggestions in the below article:

http://criterionbarrels.com/media/barrel-break-in-procedure

Installation and operation should be relatively straightforward, but if you have any questions about our barrels feel free to give us a call at (262) 628-8749 or email me at [email protected]

Good luck with the upcoming build assembly!

-Josh

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple quick questions

Is there a downside to using a semi auto bcg ? I have one coming in a trade with a friend.

Also any benefit from an adjustable gas block on the 18" rifle gas barrel? Eventually may drop the hammer on a can for the rifle .

Sent via message in a bottle

Latest posts

Top Bottom