2014 Morels......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Only when they're first up. Leaves keep the moisture content high, once they get bigger, they'll poke through and be easier to see. I don't usually have enough leaf litter around to worry about it.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it pretty common for them to be completely covered by leaves? I never sort through leaves, if I don't see them on top, I move on. Which may explain why I never find squat.

Sure, little ones, you may never see, but the big guys will pop thru those leaves.

IMG_0639.JPG

Though, I have seen some that lay sideways under leaves that were pretty good sized.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it pretty common for them to be completely covered by leaves? I never sort through leaves, if I don't see them on top, I move on. Which may explain why I never find squat.
I find a few under litter. I think the reason people find them more in burned areas, is not that the morels grow more there, they are just easier to find! Since 90% of my 'shrooms are within 100yards of the house, I'm thinking of taking my wife's backpack blower after i spot the first few, and clear out the litter...

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We've got no ash trees, a few oak and cedar mix areas. When we find them in the oak/cedars......we'll find them under cedar trees in the same area about a week after the oaks. I think it stays cooler under the cedars longer. I always find it interesting where some do and don't find them! Good info Okievarmint.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No April fools now. The shroom network around Ponca lit up today with some small ones being found. None in my spots. I checked. Plenty of moisture in the ground under the leaf's. Should be any day now.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mushroom hunters, fishermen, and Poker players have something in common.

My aunt "B", 82y/o, says everything is lined up for this week and swears there some kinda cycle. She says this will be a very good year for morels, blackberries, gardens and squirrels.

And she finally gave up her "spot" this morning. I owe her a mess of mushrooms, poke, crappie, perch and squirrels.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mushroom hunters, fishermen, and Poker players have something in common.

My aunt "B", 82y/o, says everything is lined up for this week and swears there some kinda cycle. She says this will be a very good year for morels, blackberries, gardens and squirrels.

And she finally gave up her "spot" this morning. I owe her a mess of mushrooms, poke, crappie, perch and squirrels.

Damn, sounds like she got one over on you...That better be one hell of a shroom patch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom