2A Political Activism, the ORA and You/Us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I was one of the members there also. They were beyond doubt glad to see younger people there. Glocktogo, you may be more right than you think. They have a lot of wisdom, just never realized they needed to pass it on until they couldn't anymore. Overall I think we can work together with them to make a much bigger impact than on our own. Or them by themselves. I think we can get word out to far more people much faster than they could.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Received my ORA membership in the mail today. Look forward to getting involved this spring.

BTW, a big thanks to all those on this board that work so hard to keep us informed of 2A issues.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was one of the members there also. They were beyond doubt glad to see younger people there. Glocktogo, you may be more right than you think. They have a lot of wisdom, just never realized they needed to pass it on until they couldn't anymore. Overall I think we can work together with them to make a much bigger impact than on our own. Or them by themselves. I think we can get word out to far more people much faster than they could.

I agree. If they do the framework and provide the contacts, we can spread the word quickly and effectively. This could be a good partnership.

underdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree about OSA getting the word out better. Only a very few of the pro-gun people in OK frequent this site. ORA is the official NRA-endorsed organization for OK and they need to stand on their own two feet.

They should keep their website up-to-date with legislative alerts and calls to action by voters. They should do regular press releases to newspapers, media and bloggers. It isn't that hard. I've done it and most will insert a release, especially the rural newspapers where folks are the most pro-gun. We keep cutting these guys slack and they keep slacking. Time for talk to stop and action to begin. I suspect they could get volunteer help from this site to do this if they don't know how to set up a mailing list and write press releases.

I do appreciate Mr. Shooter's efforts here.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree about OSA getting the word out better. Only a very few of the pro-gun people in OK frequent this site. ORA is the official NRA-endorsed organization for OK and they need to stand on their own two feet.

They should keep their website up-to-date with legislative alerts and calls to action by voters. They should do regular press releases to newspapers, media and bloggers. It isn't that hard. I've done it and most will insert a release, especially the rural newspapers where folks are the most pro-gun. We keep cutting these guys slack and they keep slacking. Time for talk to stop and action to begin. I suspect they could get volunteer help from this site to do this if they don't know how to set up a mailing list and write press releases.

I do appreciate Mr. Shooter's efforts here.

So you're volunteering?

I don't see any reason not to form partnerships. As a matter of fact, utilizing multiple distribution channels will exponentially increase the exposure. I don't think they should stop at OSA. I think they should branch out and form alliances with any groups in the state that generally support the 2A.

Yes, they should have timely updates on their website. Perhaps getting this exposure on OSA will get them some members who have that capability. So long as they're willing to utilize new resources and don't stifle the growth by refusing to evolve, this could be the best thing that could happen. For them and us. After all, we want the same thing.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Underdog, that is pretty much what we are working to accomplish. I came away from our get together with the idea that the ORA executive board wants that kind of help and we are stepping up to offer it. It has been less than a week since we all sat down and I don't feel like I've had smoke blown up my skirt yet.
Sure I'd like to see everything perfect NOW but things take time.

underdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then get crackin', Lar. :) I've never believed that patience is a virtue.

It's not necessary to reinvent the wheel to turn ORA into a first-rate lobby. They already have the clout of NRA behind them. All that is necessary is to look at how NRA works it's legislative alerts and do the same on a state level.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested in the ORA, but I'm not quite convinced. What can the average person do to help? I mean, donating money is all well and good, but there has to be some sort of activism we can get involved in. I'm not a member of the forum over there, but looking through the site, there is no mention of meetings or activities scheduled.

Are they doing anything? I mean, what are their plans to help the initiative? I guess this is better a question for that group, but if anyone has insight, let me know. Reading above, there is a lot of information sharing, but no plans to do anything with it.

ETA - I'm a spammer too, even though I've not signed up before. It must be from using a public email address.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Underdog, yes, ideally the ORA would be able to stand completely on it's own, but right now, as we have seen, many people do not know who or what they are. The idea is to help provide an outlet so they can grow back into that position. Right now they don't have that system.

Vicious, right now, talking to your representatives, and getting any other progun people you know to be actively supportive of their right, and if possible, getting more people into guns, is what we need.

What we need is an insanely huge amount of the gun owners to be saying "Get off my rights!" and that can only be done by getting the individuals to be active.

As a bunch of individuals, you're right, there's little we can do, but if we are all together, then we have a voice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom