2A Political Activism, the ORA and You/Us

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Underdog, your points are exactly why some of us decided to step up and meet with the ORA and ask the same questions you are asking. I think we reported on their responses already. They understand their technological shortcomings and are working to improve them. They even expressed that they think that those of us who are members of both ORA and OSA will be a big help with this. We did not get into who runs theur actual website, etc... but I would certainly think that if you have the skills with press releases, etc, that becoming a member and volunteering to help with this facet would be a great contribution to the 2A cause. Much moreso than continuing to complain about it. I'm not flaming you, as I have had the same complaints. I just decided to do what I can to support them, as like you said, they have the NRA affiliation and clout to be our best friend with the legislature. So join up, and let's see how we can further help, other than continuing to keep OSA updated. Thanks OKShooter for your effort here!

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I correspond with our reps on a regular basis on a number of issues. I will continue to do so. Unfortunately, I don't know many people who aren't gun people and those who aren't have not been swayed by me as of yet.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on the ORA's stand on HB3354 it seems not much has changed since the OP in Jan of 2009.

Bunch of old guys set in their ways, stuck in the past running the show.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday (1/17/09) I attended the Oklahoma Rifle Association's Executive Board meeting. I wanted to see first hand what the ORA is doing to defend the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in the state of Oklahoma.

I was not disappointed.

You would be disappointed today. The president of ORA committed an act of DELIBERATE SABOTAGE against those of us who want complete restoration of ALL of our rights, not just a partial victory.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really shouldn't be a surprise that the ORA opposed open carry. All one needs to do is go to their website home page and look at their mission statement:

The mission of the ORA is to protect and preserve the shooting sports at the state level. ORA will promote and improve the shooting sports by sponsoring marksmanship training and competitions throughout the state of Oklahoma.

ORA will work for the rights of the gun owner, shooter, collector, hunter, archer, black powder enthusiast. ORA will support the free exchange of ideas, information and education related to gun ownership, shooting, hunting, firearms and related topics.

See something missing? Yep, there's not a word in their mission statement about self defense. The ORA should do themselves a favor and keep their noses out of 2nd Amendment issues, since they obviously don't understand that the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or target shooting. I guess they think it's ok to "keep" arms, but only "bear" them against paper and animals. :(

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OSA has what, 16,000 members? How many does the ORA have? Granted not all of our 16k are active, but how many of ORA's members are active as well?

Seems like a continuation of the attempted partnership could yield some results if we infused even a fraction of our active membership into their organization in an active role.

We could benefit from the knowledge and skill of the guys in the ORA who know how to fight-the-fight, while injecting refreshed-renewed emphasis on the Constitution....or we could just say to hell with 'em. I don't know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom