.44 Special....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any dedicated .44 spl guns but have reloaded a few to run thru my Smith 29. They're good fun but the only way for me to enjoy them is via reloading. Too dang $$ otherwise.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the most surprising gunshot recoveries I have ever seen involved a 44 spl.. I was living in Amarillo, TX. A little smart Aleck runt of a guy I worked with was about 5'5" tall and 125 pounds. He had a waist about 28".

Anyway, one weekend he was out at a city park... drunk on his butt and being obnoxious as usual.. he decided to grope the breast of some Bandito biker's old lady. The biker [who was also very drunk] pulled a 44 special... placed it on runt's belly button just above his belt line and pulled the trigger. Witnesses said he went down like a pole axed steer. It fired a solid nose lead bullet that lodged against the spine. The ambulance crew rushed the guy to the hospital.. with everyone [including the police & docs] thinking it was only a matter of minutes or hours at the most before he died. Long story short, the Docs removed the bullet... he went home from the hospital in 4 days... and he was back at work in 3 weeks without light duty. His only complaint being that he got really bad heartburn from eating spicy Mexican foods & peppers... when he hadn't before.

It is amazing what the human body can survive. This guy survives a .44 spl where as on the other hand, I was leaving a strip club in Arlington, TX one night when some guy who had just been kicked out of the bar sprayed the parking lot with a .22 LR as he was leaving. He hit a 21 yr old kid in the ribs one time... the kid was coming in to celebrate his 21st birthday that day.. to take his first legal drink. He died in the parking lot with a little purple hole in his side.

The club manager was carrying a snub nosed .44 mag and had started busting off rounds at the car as it sped off. He had a permit for it... but the police arrested him for reckless endangerment. He was looking at 5-10 yrs in prison and possibly more if anyone down range had been hit. It was in a heavily populated area... and there was a Interstate highway overpass only 2 blocks away in the direction he had been shooting.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Charter Arms Bulldog. It is a nice little gun with a big hole in the end. Even light loads feel kinda stiff in it. I have had a .44 magnum of some sort almost all of my adult life. I have always enjoyed shooting and loading for them. I like to load light loads in magnum cases. That is better than shooting the shorter loads in the magnum chambers.

It is hard to find loaded .44 special ammo in the stores I go to. I wouldn't buy it anyway but I do look for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom