458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I know it’s not ideal but my Grendel only feeds well if the first round to be fed comes from the right side of the mag. If I feed it from the left side, it’s about 50/50. YMMV

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They single hand feed outside of a mag correctly? Try just loading one or two in the bag and see if they feed. Bolt lubed up good? Hose it and the upper receiver down with CLP. Buffer spring binding, weak, too long/short. Mag spring binding or follower binding up? Basically the same things you would look at for a 223/556 AR would be a good place to start looking.

Didn’t matter if I had 1 round in the mag, 3, 5 or 10...it jammed the same on the feed every time.

I have a 458 SOCOM follower and a 20 rd GI mag that I am going to modify tomorrow and give a try. Hopefully that will fix it. I bought a Lancer mag because of the positive results others have had, but maybe it needs to be modified also.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They single hand feed outside of a mag correctly? Try just loading one or two in the bag and see if they feed. Bolt lubed up good? Hose it and the upper receiver down with CLP. Buffer spring binding, weak, too long/short. Mag spring binding or follower binding up? Basically the same things you would look at for a 223/556 AR would be a good place to start looking.

If I drop a round in, the bolt locks up tight and cycles just fine. Just wont feed from the mag. I’m going to try a modified mag, and lube everything up so it is running wet, then give it another try. Hopefully that will fix it.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a couple Lancers that fed flawlessly without modification, and I've had 3 that just would not feed without a little mod to the feed lips and front of mag...

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I’ve got it working now, at least when cycling by hand.

I modified the Lancer mag by dishing out a half moon in the front loading ramp area, and also shortened and rounded the mag’s feed lips. The first round still struggles from time to time when putting it into battery, but all rounds after that cycle correctly.

I should be able to get it out and put some live rounds through it before days end.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it’s not quite right yet. It might feed perfectly for 3-4 rounds, then jam. It failed to go into full battery twice. Hammer fell, but not engaged enough for a primer strike. No jams on ejection, and the bolt locks back after the last round. The casings have distinct scratches on the underside where it appears to be scraping hard as it slides over the feed ramps. Wondering if I shouldn’t pull the barrel and polish the feed ramps and locking lugs? Thoughts?

That said, I’m loving the round. I put a big muzzle brake on it. Between the brake, a 4.3oz buffer and 325 gr boolits, this thing doesn’t kick any more than my 300 BLK.

First shot ever from the rifle landed in the orange target dot at 50 yds. I then got dialed in a little closer at 100, and the 3 to the lower right were the last ones fired. Ran out of ammo.

Attachments

• 31451E27-49EB-49FF-9950-8ED57AE5AE50.jpeg
    31451E27-49EB-49FF-9950-8ED57AE5AE50.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 9E06E746-F47F-40A1-92C3-6BF4BD8C2C7E.jpeg
    9E06E746-F47F-40A1-92C3-6BF4BD8C2C7E.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 214

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Polishing ramps can't hurt at all. When the hammer dropped but didn't strike hard enough to fire was it easy to get it into battery? Not sure if you are using reloads or not but if the case is a little on the thick side and the chamber a little on the thin side it could cause an issue that way. Even if everything is within tolerance it could cause an issue. Anyway I am sure you will get it figured out and running like a swiss watch in no time.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t have to pull the barrel and polish the feed ramps after all. I made some minor modifications to a GI mag and added a 458 SOCOM follower. Now the rifle is running flawlessly. Brass is loading great with no scratches or deformation of any kind. No jams, no failure to fire, and all is locking up tight. Now to get my loads dialed in.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up some 325gr Hornady boolits and ordered 100 Great Lakes brass.
Drguns is in okc and has ammo on gunbroker. It showed they had 97 boxes but I called them and they don’t do local pickup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom