A cool kid now

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Close quarters, the shotgun pattern is only a few inches wide in a hallway, and your going to have a whole lot of audio experience that can distract one from the matters at hand. A suppressed AR with a 30 round mag is going to be pretty handy in my honest opinion. Depends on your definition of a recreational shooter. Every platform I see including bolt guns recommend free floating the barrel for the best accuracy. I'll bet if you do a poll of shooters that owned a Ruger Ranch Rifle that had a barrel band would tell you that the accuracy went away with the first few shots. Normally trailing up and to the right. M4's are meant for CQC, not long range shooting IMHO, so the barrel not being free floating won't have much effect at those distances. Competitions may require shooting 100 rounds or so at distances from 30 to 600 yards at a quick rate of fire. The free floating barrel will make a difference in that situation. You alone have to make a determination on what you want to do with the rifle, and have fun with it. They are fun rifles to shoot, low recoil, etc. Tons of really smart folks on this forum with good info about the AR platform. I'm sure more will check in.
Thanks for the info Dennis. I don't ever plan on competitive shooting and most of my shooting will be 100 yards or less, so I don't think free floating it would be a huge advantage for me. It does sound like I need to for sure add a weapon light. I am liking this over the magpul I have now. image-3310019248.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A light is good. A lot of new AR owners load their rifles up with all kinds of accessory's because it tacti-cool, but soon realize less is better. Don't get caught in that trap.

I have lots of center fire rifles, and the AR is the most fun to shoot. Loading some 30-06 rounds with Barnes 168 grain TTSX as we speak for an upcoming elk hunt. That gun is not fun to shoot. 100 rounds will last for years.

AR, 100 rounds lasts for minutes. LOL....

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A light is good. A lot of new AR owners load their rifles up with all kinds of accessory's because it tacti-cool, but soon realize less is better. Don't get caught in that trap. I have lots of center fire rifles, and the AR is the most fun to shoot. Loading some 30-06 rounds with Barnes 168 grain TTSX as we speak for an upcoming elk hunt. That gun is not fun to shoot. 100 rounds will last for years. AR, 100 rounds lasts for minutes. LOL....

I plan on keeping it simple.

Latest posts

Top Bottom