A nice "competition" revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wondering is anyone knows what a nice "competition" revolver would be?
I'm starting to get into revolvers more and more each day and I'm starting to get a wild hair on my rear for possibly doing ICORE.
I'm not sure though what a good revolver would be?
I'm thinking something that's 8 shot with a barrel between say 4" and 6".
Maybe if there's one that's "pre-lock" and an 8 shot would be great! I don't know if there is such a thing though, I know you can disconnect the lock so that's not a big deal to me but a pre-lock would be better though.
The only thing I could think of (I know it's gonna' have the lock) would be an 8 shot Smith 627.
If someone knows of something also that's really good or better, please let me know and try to post some pictures so I get some sort of idea.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
929's are starting to hit shelves, or a 627. I believe 150x custom is the place most of the local guys use for action work. You also have one helluva revolver shooter living in McAlester. His screen name on BS is ChrisC, I don't know if he posts here. Roger Davis may also live in McAlester, I'm not positive. Screen name for him is bubber.

Be forewarned that competition tuned revolvers absolutley require reloading. They almost all require federal primers and a good number of guys run 38 super or short colt, just depends on their gun. The 929 is a 9mm. I believe ICORE has a division called classic that only allows 6 shot guns and requires loading with speedloaders.

Long story short, get with Chris and Roger. They will be able to tell you more.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm right there with you guys. It would be cool to have a competition revolver. I think I'd call the S&W custom shop if I had any money.

Nothing coming out of S&W is going to touch the well known competition revolver smiths out there.

I've played with guns from both Harold at 150X and Mike Carmoney, the before and after is night and day.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
929's are starting to hit shelves, or a 627. I believe 150x custom is the place most of the local guys use for action work. You also have one helluva revolver shooter living in McAlester. His screen name on BS is ChrisC, I don't know if he posts here. Roger Davis may also live in McAlester, I'm not positive. Screen name for him is bubber.

Be forewarned that competition tuned revolvers absolutley require reloading. They almost all require federal primers and a good number of guys run 38 super or short colt, just depends on their gun. The 929 is a 9mm. I believe ICORE has a division called classic that only allows 6 shot guns and requires loading with speedloaders.

Long story short, get with Chris and Roger. They will be able to tell you more.

I know both Chris and Roger, I used to shoot with them at our local matches up at our range. They're cool and funny guys, plus they're both REALLY DAMN GOOD revolver shooters! They're pretty damn fast! I'm not sure what Roger shoots but he has a super tricked out 6 inch 38 super (Although he makes them into powder puff loads). As far as reloading, that's what me and my dad are gonna' start doing this Christmas, we're gonna' get a Dillon Progressive reloading set. I'll be more than likely shooting 38 super or 38 long colt out of it for competition.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
photo (2).jpgphoto (1).jpg

Here ya go.... It's for sale. PM if interested.......

Latest posts

Top Bottom