A question for LEOs, report writing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that here on OSA being a text based platform, we have a pretty good grasp of the written word. Many of us have also done extensive report writing either LE, security or military. My question is how do you train someone not only the importance of writing a report but how to do it? Especially to someone who is a product of the failed modern education system.anyone have any tips or tricks on how to not only gather, but present information in a coherent manner?

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that here on OSA being a text based platform, we have a pretty good grasp of the written word. Many of us have also done extensive report writing either LE, security or military. My question is how do you train someone not only the importance of writing a report but how to do it? Especially to someone who is a product of the failed modern education system.anyone have any tips or tricks on how to not only gather, but present information in a coherent manner?

Senior English, Peggy Price, Duncan High School circa 70-80’s. She taught me all I ever needed to know. She’s probably long dead by now though so you’re SOL.

Seriously, you can tell them what you want in the report, but unless they already know how to write, I fear you’re wasting your time.

Good Luck with that.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was always told to write a report so anyone could read it and know exactly what happened. Write in third person context, don't be overly detailed (Zane Grey) but don't leave valuable info out. And don't use a bunch of 13 dollar words that people will need a dictionary for.

But yeah, with this generation of texters, you would think they could produce a decent report, but nah.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately for most officers, learning the importance of writing a good report doesn't come until 2 years later when they are in court and having to testify. Figuring out how to get the why to click is going to be different for every person.

As to the second part of the question. If you are talking about sentence structure and general spelling, good luck. The different formal writing formats that have been taught throughout the years help. But this probably not your wheel house and It sure isn't mine.

I've had my rookies start with identifying what crime needs to be documented. Identify the elements and then basically answer the question of how is this element met for each one. Once you get that you can start painting the picture. Who, what, when, where, why, & how. Type it out in Word and have them read it out loud. You read it out loud to them and see if they pick up errors you spot.

Some officers will never type reports that English teachers would call perfect. Admit it we aren't the smartest group of people. We chose this profession over being a fire fighter.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think @DanB pretty much summed it up. The only thing I'd add is to avoid a lot of jargon.

Don't say: "I instructed (him) to exit the vehicle," when you probably didn't say that at all. Write what you told him to do: "I told him to get out of the car."

Details are important, too, for the reasons stated above. You're going to have to testify in court and you'll rely on that report to jog your memory.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Senior English, Peggy Price, Duncan High School circa 70-80’s. She taught me all I ever needed to know. She’s probably long dead by now though so you’re SOL.

Seriously, you can tell them what you want in the report, but unless they already know how to write, I fear you’re wasting your time.

Good Luck with that.

Uhmmm ... We know each other?? I graduated in 76. Had a sister graduate in 77, a brother in 78 and another sister in 79, I think ?? . Then another sister in 80 and a brother in 82. Sheesh ... I think that's everybody!! Haha!

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uhmmm ... We know each other?? I graduated in 76. Had a sister graduate in 77, a brother in 78 and another sister in 79, I think ?? . Then another sister in 80 and a brother in 82. Sheesh ... I think that's everybody!! Haha!

Maybe. I was an 80 grad.

I probably knew your siblings. I got around a little.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe. I was an 80 grad.

I probably knew your siblings. I got around a little.

Probably ... Billy and Cynthia were the 2 youngest at home. I was LONG GONE by then. Home life at our house was NOT what it looked like from the other side of the front door, if you know what I mean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom