about the sig P6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
does anyone know if, you can only shoot 115 gr, FMJ's or can you shoot others well, like hydroshocks, Gold dots, etc..., somewhere i read that since they were military guns they will only work with FMJ's someone please help with personal expierence.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe there were earlier models with some sort of chamber/feedramp issues.

OlYeller polished my feedramp and re-did the chamber - it cycled every kind of ammo I had reliably (124gr Gold-Dots, etc...).

Depends on the gun/year of manufacture and what gunsmithing has been put into it.

Most guns that will not cycle HPs will do fine with Remington Golden Sabres or Corbon Powerballs.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The issue with the P6 was with bullets in the 147gr loadings due to the length of the projectile from the mouth of the casing. Since yours is a later produced gun you shouldn't have any problems.

Liberec

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 83 and loves Gold Dot +p and anything I put in it. Some have problems but I think it is not as bad as it is talked about. Best way is to go shoot it and try some different hp ammo. Its a German Sig, so try it before you spend the extra money!
Liberec

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son's has a problem with 124 grain Gold Dots and Hydra Shocks. Olyeller polished the ramp but did not recut it any. It helped a bunch but it still FTF's once in awhile. I can't remember what year it was made but I think it's prior to a change they made in the ramp angle? I could be wrong about this.

He has tried other mags and increased the mag spring weight. Like I said it's much better than choking on every mag like before but it still chokes a couple of times per box. He carries with Cor-Bon Pow-R-Ball.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if it's something that could be done after production, (chamber reaming feedramp polishing etc) but the basic Sig design will feed anything. My Sig 228 is the hungriest gun I've met.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i appreciate all the info, they only problem with going to shoot different ammo is WOW they are expensive, just to see if they feed, and then you still have the what if it worked on this go round but will not later. it sounds like i just need to get someone to polish the ramp, maybe i can do that myself unless it needs a special type of polish, and or different angle etc... thank you very much and keep them coming i appreciate it very much guys and or gals.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shouldn't need a ramp cut or any special tools / polish.

Take a dowel rod a little bit smaller than a 9mm round in diameter. Wrap 400 or 600 grit sandpaper around it (I usually start with 400 and then move to 600) and sand in the direction of movement. Sand until the machining marks are gone. Use a magnifying glass if you have one to check out the surface. After that, bust out the dremel with a felt polishing tip and some Flitz or Mothers.

It takes about 10-20 minutes and your feedramp will look like chrome afterwards.

FWIW, I've owned 2 P6s and they both fed FMJ/HP reliably (from what I can tell).

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thank you mmchambers i will try that, i have all that on a dremel tool, and a little rubber tip that helps out, i works on a friends charle daly 1911 that would not feed anything and now he wants me to work on everything because it feeds so well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom