Alcohol tax at restaurant rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be quick. Wife and I went out for dinner last night. Had a burger craving so went to Bricktown Brewery on South side since close to Hollywood Feed and Rio needed some grub. They have $9.95 any burger and fries so a pretty good deal and the burgers weren't bad. We each had one draft beer - $5.50 each or $11 total. When I got the tab and reviewed our order for a tip, I noticed the beer and wine tax was $2.45! 2.45/11 = 22.2%. WTF! I don't tip on the overall bill amount which includes taxes - only on the subtotal. I'm glad that they are required now to break out the liquor tax from the 8.75% sales tax so more are aware.

Did some quick reading this morning and apparently it's still considered a "sin tax". While I like an adult beverage with my meals when going out, I think some of this has gotten out of hand. A draft been at Green Chile Kitchen in Yukon is $8. Add in the tax and it's almost $10 for maybe 14 oz. Damn near airport prices!

https://okpolicy.org/resources/onli...oklahomas-major-taxes/alcoholic-beverage-tax/

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a big part of why i dont eat out, before long they will tax you for walking thru the door. If you stop and figure out the amount of taxes you pay it will come to nearly 75% of every dollar you make and they will keep on adding more and more til it comes to the point you will pay more taxes than the value of the dollar.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they have had this tax separate for a couple years I believe. I think it is on top of sales tax, not sure
It's taxed separately now. The tab breaks out a subtotal for your food and drinks. $32.90 for 2 burgers, 2 beers and 1 gluten free bun(+$2). Food $21.90. Beer $11. Sales tax $1.92. Beer & Wine tax $2.45. Total tax $4.37. Final bill $37.27.

We only go out to eat once a week. For $13.45(total alcohol cost), we could get a 6 pack of craft beer or close to a 12 pack of domestic beer. For $23.82(total food cost), we could cook up probably 4-6 burgers like we ordered and fries.

We won't stop going out. I work from home and need to get outta here for a sanity break now and then. BUT, I will just have a beer after work then another when get home instead of paying the crazy prices at restaurants.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's taxed separately now. The tab breaks out a subtotal for your food and drinks. $32.90 for 2 burgers, 2 beers and 1 gluten free bun(+$2). Food $21.90. Beer $11. Sales tax $1.92. Beer & Wine tax $2.45. Total tax $4.37. Final bill $37.27.

We only go out to eat once a week. For $13.45(total alcohol cost), we could get a 6 pack of craft beer or close to a 12 pack of domestic beer. For $23.82(total food cost), we could cook up probably 4-6 burgers like we ordered and fries.

We won't stop going out. I work from home and need to get outta here for a sanity break now and then. BUT, I will just have a beer after work then another when get home instead of paying the crazy prices at restaurants.

Some restaurants used to be sneaky and bake the price of liquor into the cost of the drink. Thus you'd be taxed on the whole total in which liquor tax would be in there too. It would add up over time to the restaurant.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I want to know is, why some restaurants charge this and others do not. Being rather miserly, I watch my tabs pretty closely whenever we go out, and it seems many of the restaurants around here do not charge the extra tax. The last time I saw it here in Enid was at Bricktown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom