Am i going to get a ticket? stupid tollboth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was taking the Creek Turnpike home tonight. As I went to get on from Riverside I pulled into the toll booth to pay my 35 cents. I tossed in a quarter and a dime and waited for the light to turn green. It didn't change so I threw in another dime. The light stayed red. At this point the cars are backing up behind me so I said "eff it" and threw in another quarter and dime. The light didn't change and the drivers behind me were starting to really stack up... Having already paid 80 cents I decided to drive on through. I think I heard a "beep" and am pretty sure it clicked a picture.

Am I going to get a ticket in the mail? If so, how do I fight it?

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have unintentionally gone through the turnpike a couple times over the years without paying but have never been contacted. I have a pike pass but occasionally have loaned it out to someone and forgot I didn't have it. You might just try being proactive and calling the turnpike authority about your experience. They probably have a record of the machine malfunctioning. I think you'll be fine.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, you sniveling wimp.

Those things screw up all the time; the one on the Cherokee did it to me Saturday. The first time it happened to me I threw in more change (doubled the toll), every time it's happened since I just honk and flip the machine off as a I drive away.

No tickets yet.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I happen to know that, well at least in years past, if you run through the pikepass lane in an OCPD cruiser. Pikepass will mail the department a notice of failure to pay toll.

Happened to my brother-in-law. When he told me I damn near fell over laughing my butt off.

Just call Pikepass in the morning and give them the heads up. preferrably note the toll booth where this happened.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the recommendation I received after calling the 800 number when I did exactly what you did.

Throw in the required toll and wait approximately 20-30 seconds for the light to turn green. If the light hasn't turned green in 30 seconds don't throw more money into the machine just drive through the gate.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From pikepass.com:

7. I put my money in the basket, but the light did not turn green. Will I receive a violation?

No. All toll payments made at unattended cash lanes are accounted for. It is possible a foreign object might jam the equipment. If the light does not turn green within a few moments (10 seconds), proceed through the lane. Please DO NOT put additional coins or deposit less than the required toll. Most cash lanes are equipped to provide a receipt. You are encouraged to always get a receipt when traveling. Please contact the PIKEPASS Customer Service Center to report any problems at your first opportunity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom